This guy needs a motor!

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That's why I never carry the fruit flavored gels when riding my road bike. The bears can't resist it.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Fruit - flavoured - gels - do they chase you carrying bunches of flowers or something?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I think this may be a metaphor about Tom dealing with spammers, spandexters, and trolls.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Not necessarily. Perhaps its the fruity odors on twig and berries that attracts bears. laff Those lotions are for serious and proper bicycle racing. No need on a motored bike. Unless you like that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
This was me, one time on an evening ride late last summer, riding down a dark street when I began hearing woofing and caught sight of a loose Rottweiler in my mirror. My lovely old bike, Tempus, did not let me down. I was doing a decent job of staying ahead while dodging ruts in the shadows (and sweating profusely I can tell you) and gave her WOT as soon as I had a stretch of road I could see well. My bike can pass a Ruckus, but would you believe it that durned dog was still back there for a short bit?!?!? He had me worried just a tad. But when I checked the mirror a couple seconds later, he was gone. Whew.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
You are right, Fasteddy, those bears are fast and have unbelievable acceleration. I was up on some logging roads on the way to a lake when we surprised a bear around a blind corner. In about a stride or two that beast was at full speed heading into the thick bush and trees over fallen logs etc. He did not slow down one tiny bit. Scared the living carp out of me. And I was in a truck.

If you do get challenged by a bear, just soil your pants and the bear will walk away in disgust.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I heard a polar bear can survive a headshot with double-aught buck high-brass, and barely notice a similar shot with any handgun calibre (except maybe .50AE) gunshots tent to scare bears away due to the noise more so than it being dangerous to the bear. They think gunshots are thunderclaps so they move along when they hear them, because in the wild bears are more likely to be killed in a forest fire started by lightning than by any other means.

statistically speaking people who are victims of a bear attack are more likely to kill the bear if armed with a machete than any firearm. (FYI chances of survival with gun=less than one percent, survival with a machete=less than one percent. it's only your chances of critically injuring the bear that go up.)

yeah though, Chaz is right from what I've heard. **** your pants and go limp. If you're lucky the bear will only take a taste before leaving.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Nice going Ludwig, you have destroyed your great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandchidlren's chance at a lucrative career in black market bear parts. However, because of your country's contribution to comedy, progressive rock, and fish and chips, I'm going to send you a container load of bears. Now, before you celebrate too much I'm also going to throw in Justin Bieber, Nickelback, and the mayor of my city Gregor (The Terrible) Robertson just to make it interesting and a win/win situation for me. Be careful when you open it because you my find a bunch of bears with stupid haircuts, have carpy taste in music and are highly skilled at influence peddling. At least they will be well fed.

You can thank me later,

Chaz

PS You should place an order now for a chainmail suit from Gorewound just to be on the safe side

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Please, no, such fiendish acts of malice should never be perpetrated! We'll take the rest, but not Bieber! Please, we'll pay!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Nice going Ludwig, you have destroyed your great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandchidlren's chance at a lucrative career in black market bear parts. However, because of your country's contribution to comedy, progressive rock, and fish and chips, I'm going to send you a container load of bears. Now, before you celebrate too much I'm also going to throw in Justin Bieber, Nickelback, and the mayor of my city Gregor (The Terrible) Robertson just to make it interesting and a win/win situation for me. Be careful when you open it because you my find a bunch of bears with stupid haircuts, have carpy taste in music and are highly skilled at influence peddling. At least they will be well fed.

You can thank me later,

Chaz

PS You should place an order now for a chainmail suit from Gorewound just to be on the safe side
Hold on there. NOT Mayor Robertson. How would Translink our highly inefficient and extremely overpriced public transportation system continue at it's unbelievable poor pace without him. We desperately need the good Mayor to keep blocking off miles stores with the little used bike lanes so he can have those feel good moments with his fellow cyclists while the shoppers circle for blocks looking for a parking place as the store go out of business.

I'm down in Crescent Beach so when your loading up the rest let me know and I'll be more than pleased to help. I'm sensing an Order Of Canada Medal for ridding the country of a couple of blemishes to the countries honour.

Steve.