rear mount or inframe...parts same?

GoldenMotor.com

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Complete Rear Mount Engine Kit - $419.99

Anybody know if this gearbox simply rotates 90° depending on mounting location and is otherwise identical? I emailed them but they haven't responded.

I'm asking because I haven't decided where to mount it yet, and would rather pay more to get everything I need and then decide. I need to physically have the stuff here to check dimensions, clearances, etc.

Oh yeah, of course there are fuel tank differences, but that's no biggie.

Last edited:

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
The folks at bicycle-engines.com don't seem to answer their e-mail in anything near a timly manner. If they ever do respond they will say they are having problems with their system. As to your gearbox question, Yes the gearbox will rotate and mount properly either vertiacal or horizontal, and it is the same gearbox for rack mount and frame mount. If you need additional information from bicycle-engines.com its alwas best to phone their toll free ph#.

ocscully

Last edited:

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Thank you, good to know.
Well, I guess I'm going with uglier rear mount vs cruiser style frame mount. Reason being, I need rear suspension on the rough roads here. Last bike left me stranded time after time with pinch flats, so I figure some give with suspension will help. I've switch to a utilitarian mindset.
Just picked up a cheap Mongoose off craigslist.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
Since your post is from March, how has it worked out? Personally, if I was going to spend that much, it would be a no brainer to get the staton rack mount system. First of all, you get a much higher quality engine (the chinese 4 stroke is an ok engine but the Japanese engines are even better). But the kicker for me would be that I'd be avoiding that gearbox, which is the weak point in all the 4 stroke chinese kits so far. The statons are American made and highly reliable. I prefer frame mount. I bought a 4 stroke frame mount kit but the gearbox failed before I even got one mile on it. The gearbox you got was an improvement but still highly unreliable. And with Staton, he'll always answer your emails or take your calls personally.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I guess I shouldn't have cluttered the site with another thread, but this was the continuation of my saga: http://motorbicycling.com/f3/im-baaaack-7202.html

If only there was a more robust mounting system.....I haven't really thought much about motorbiking at all lately. New hobby is smoking foods. Less money involvement, but less excercise.
Are you hot smoking or cold smoking or a combination of both, me I use both.
I droool even thinking of smoky meat, cheese, salts, butters etc.

How about a mounting system that wont burn your legs and is not a rack mount.
Using a self contained engine fuel cvt pod. powering a sick bike parts peddlable freewheel. you can also shift the deraileur for even more goodness.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi, Ordered 2 Of Their Rear Rack Mounts Yesterday. Shipping Was $13. + For One And $18. For Two. Looks Like A Lot Of Parts For $49. I Had Not Noticed That They Are For Honda Engines. I Have 3 Dax Titans. Planning On Using The 325:1 Ratio Pocket Bike Trannys. May Even Try Flipping Them Over For Rite Hand Cvt Drive.. Ron .cvlt1

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Are you hot smoking or cold smoking or a combination of both, me I use both.
I droool even thinking of smoky meat, cheese, salts, butters etc.

How about a mounting system that wont burn your legs and is not a rack mount.
Using a self contained engine fuel cvt pod. powering a sick bike parts peddlable freewheel. you can also shift the deraileur for even more goodness.
Modified a Brinkmann cheapo upright smoker. Have only 4 cooks on it. Welded on a ring to seal the coal pan to the body. Maintains a perfect 230°F for 5 hours. Now I lurk on The Smoke Ring forums. Previously spent lots of time on firewood forum on Arboristsite as well as this motorbike forum. But I moved to a further away city, and a 20 mile highway commute is now a 30 mile freeway only commute with no possibility of motorbiking. Went from a half acre in the forest to an 8x8 foot concrete pad in front of the condo I now live in, with NO extra garage space, so motorbiking has kinda died out for me. If it wasn't for so many bad memories, I'd have a lot of good memories motoring along.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I haven't really thought much about motorbiking at all lately. New hobby is smoking foods. Less money involvement, but less excercise.

I have been getting into this lately too, but I have a real problem keeping my food lit....any hints clues or help for this noob?

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
I have been getting into this lately too, but I have a real problem keeping my food lit....any hints clues or help for this noob?
You're first problem is trying to light the food!

First question is what are you cooking on? Using a thermometer on the food grate, adjust intake air to keep temps around 220-240° give or take.

Smoking is different from grilling. Grilling is much hotter with charcoal actually burning. Smoking is having the coals just kinda smoldering along for a "crock pot" effect for slow cooking. A chimney starter full of charcoal will smolder along for a good 6 hours.

Here's a link to how I modified a $40 Brinkmann from Home Depot to make it a true smoker.
The Smoke Ring :: View topic - Brinkmann gets too hot!?