Engine Number Change, Mistake California

GoldenMotor.com

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
Hi guys so I sent in my form to the DMV and gave the bike frame as a VIN and the engine number as a sticker on the engine, I got my registration card and everything was good. I then proceeded to do an oil change on the bike and found out that the engine actually has a legitimate serial number (its a 4 stroke, 110CC). I wrote another number just 4 letters it had on a sticker. Is there any way to change this to the actual engine#. I would assume its like when an engine on a car blows and a new engine is put on the car. How do they proceed to change the engine number and is that something that I would be able to do?

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I'd like to know this too. But I think I'm gonna save me the trouble and just weld the number from the old onto the new.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I wouldn't even worry about it. Costa mesa and newport cops have checked my registration against the serial number on the bike to see if I was switching plates, but never checked the engine, so I quit stamping them on (china two strokes had no numbers.)

If you get some crazy cop who actually checks, telling him the old engine blew up would probably satisfy him.

If you're hellbent on being totally legal, contact your DMV. I'm sure they have some form to fill out, a new fee to pay, and more time wasted to fix it.

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
Bairdco you're probably right I thought maybe it would have been a big deal but as you say might not be. My engine actually has an actual serial number (it is not a china girl engine). So I was concerned if the cop wants to check it he will see it clearly marked there but I will probably just say my old engine blew