Reproduction springer fork. Are they safe for a motor bike

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I was thinking about getting a springer fork for my bike but I'm wondering if they are safe to carry a 200 + pound guy 25mph? I've heard yes and I've heard no. I'm just wondering
Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I used one on my first motorized bike. It worked okay but the spring was a little stiff even adjusted all the way out. The only problem I had was the fasteners loosening up. I used blue Loctite on them and solved the problem.

There is a weight difference however. I'm a lightweight and you have a little more load than I do. That could be significant when it comes to the strength of the metal used in some of the repro forks. Buyer beware.

Tom

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
When it comes to doing a face plant on pavement or avoiding one I tend to err on the side of caution. I had a springer like the old Schwinn type on my Felt and didn't like how the wheel position changed under load or heavy braking. I'd read about how some of the vintage (rusty) or bent/low springer forks would fracture at the pivot bolt, and I'd read about how some of the cheaper made forks would wear at the spring retainer bolt and being paranoid I went with a linkage fork. My paranoia is based on several thousands of dollars worth of pavement related dental work. There are a few more robust ones around but I'm very happy with my Felt Abraham Linkage.