Transfer Port Modification- Pictures and results here.

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
a few of those things sound like they might be a little bit overkill for our cheap ass engines but its good to know about everything else.

the pro that i have been bouncing questions off of as well told me that he could see just by looking at the engine the port timing was off and that he would get back to me on some number amounts. it will be interesting to compare the numbers i end up getting from him with yours.

also when your talking about fixing the head in a CNC are you talking about making a whole new head? because short of that i don't see how you could fix the head as it sits.

the intake is something ive been thinking a lot about. see if your guy can offer any insight to a good length.
You hit the nail on the head..."cheap ass engine". In an effort to cheapen it; the factories have skipped over some important machining operations. The engines I offer will no longer be poor quality. I've been looking at these since September as far as what can be done to make them far superior without going overboard.

I figured I described enough stuff in the last post so here's more...

Looking at the core product...the castings are, (contrary to popular belief), totally acceptable. The castings are made by a process called Die casting. How do I know this: Look at the castings, they all have ejector pin tooling marks. Die casting is similar to injection molding pastic and produces a far superior product when compared to sand casting.

In creating a split case engine there must be a positive register that ensures the two halves can be assembled so that the bearing recievers are pefectly in-line and concentric to each other, especially when there are two sets of bearings; one set for the crankshaft, and another for the countershaft. A missalignment of more than .0015" is not acceptable. The factory manufacturing process allows for more than this. It's a point of bearing failure which only serves to leave the novice wondering why some engines last so much longer than others. Based on the way the case halves are registered it is purely chance as to whether or not you get a good engine or a bad one. The final alignment is not positively machined...it is left up to the "feel" of the worker who is doing the assembly.

Sealing is important for any of the mating surfaces that are part of the combustion process. The machining of these surfaces is poor from the factory, that's why they ooze from every orifice regularly. This not only results in reduced performance...it's also messy. The crankshaft and countershaft seals are of the wrong type, improperly installed, and usually of poor quality.

Neddle bearing vs. bushing on the con-rod small end:

There is nothing wrong with a needle bearing on the small end. This has been done in 2-cycle engines for as long as I can remember. The Suzuki trail 90 that I had as a kid had a needle bearing on the small end. The thoughts and theories that have been bandied about on the internet regarding this are wrong.

What is wrong is the fact that the piston was not fitted properly to use a needle bearing. There is a HUGE gap between the width of the con rod and the piston boss for the wrist pin...this allows the needle bearing to float out of the rod. 25-30% of the needle bearing leaves the rod and provides no support or bearing surface at all. This is an easy fix.

The idea is NOT to offer high performance engines in the traditional sense. High performance can also mean longevity through precision components...yes from the precision assembly there will be a horsepower increase...but it will not be such that it will overpower the mechanicals of a bicycle. 5 horsepower is reasonable, and plenty for an engine powered bicycle.

Jim

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Yep, now that mine is broken in with about 150 miles or so,
she's starting to...............

"ooze from every orifice regularly" laff

'BrettMavriK

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
That is super interesting stuff Jim, when can we expect a prototype? Don't get us all "hot & bothered" for nothing- Walter F.
Don't worry walter:D

I'm doing it now...I got everything put into the computer last week. I've had a lot of people ask for this...I'm finally on it!!! And the Schwinn Jaguar kit...And a Spoiler kit...Busy, Busy, Busy.

Today I disassembled one of my new engines and re-machined the crank, it is now spot-on concentric. I also balanced it.

I'm going to start a new thread tomorrow, so that it won't cause any confusion.

I've got plenty of pictures and descriptions.

Jim

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Don't worry walter:D

I'm doing it now...I got everything put into the computer last week. I've had a lot of people ask for this...I'm finally on it!!! And the Schwinn Jaguar kit...And a Spoiler kit...Busy, Busy, Busy.

Today I disassembled one of my new engines and re-machined the crank, it is now spot-on concentric. I also balanced it.

I'm going to start a new thread tomorrow, so that it won't cause any confusion.

I've got plenty of pictures and descriptions.

Jim
You never fail to amaze me Jim. Where do you get all that GO GO juice from? Must be still young or I wanna buy some of that stuff! Your new motor sounds GREAT ! When do you think the aprox. ETA of the Finished Product will be ? I gotta save up! Did you talk with Brandon about the intake length ? Keep up the good work and keep us posted...Rick

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
You never fail to amaze me Jim. Where do you get all that GO GO juice from? Must be still young or I wanna buy some of that stuff! Your new motor sounds GREAT ! When do you think the aprox. ETA of the Finished Product will be ? I gotta save up! Did you talk with Brandon about the intake length ? Keep up the good work and keep us posted...Rick
Rick,

I should see Brendan today...I'll ask him about the intake.

I'm 47...I still have a few good miles left in me. :D

I'm hoping to put this engine in Brett Mavricks' bike on Friday for a test and tune session. It should be interesting. The crank was so bad, I can't wait to run it and see how much of an improvement has been made.

Jim

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
WOW Jim
What a wealth of info. I was going to modify a frame tommorow to install a motor (80cc=69er or ?). I was going to have a VERY sharp angle on the motor and mod. the intake to bring carb. back to level. Should I mod the frame to have a straight intake instead ? Also does the same apply like drag raceing cars that the long intake(tunnel ram) gives power in upr.RPM and short gives torque and throttle response ? Thanks for the reply and keep up the good work. You the MAN Jim...POPS (Rick)
POPS,

From my days tweaking my Mustang, I learned that pretty much the longer the intake runner length, the more torque you have, but you lose top end power. Shorter intakes provide less torque but much more high rpm power.

Not 100% on how that would apply to 2-strokes, but I'm willing to bet it's similar.

Also, on these bikes and some testing I've done, is I personally think it's preferable to have more torque rather than high-rpm power. The more torque you have, the higher you can gear it so you can go faster and not have to rev so high.

runslikeapenguin

Feb 2, 2009
Seattle
POPS,

From my days tweaking my Mustang, I learned that pretty much the longer the intake runner length, the more torque you have, but you lose top end power. Shorter intakes provide less torque but much more high rpm power.

Not 100% on how that would apply to 2-strokes, but I'm willing to bet it's similar.

Also, on these bikes and some testing I've done, is I personally think it's preferable to have more torque rather than high-rpm power. The more torque you have, the higher you can gear it so you can go faster and not have to rev so high.
well seeing as all the reading and experience i have on that matter like you is in relation to valved 4 stroke engines. which from what i have read the reasoning for this is because the pulse length from the valves dynamically charging opposing cylinders. so not sure how its going to work with a 2 stroke especially because the crank case is part of the intake as well.

Jim talk to your friend Brenden about this, its one issue i cant really find solid facts on.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
POPS,

Jasonh
Rembering from my drag raceing days
Edelbrock streetmaster duel plane low rise,Torque curve= 0-5000 RPM
Torquer open plane=3500-7000 RPM
Tunnel ram high rise=5000-9500 RPM
All these figures are opposite of what you are saying ?
With all due respect I think you have it backwards.
I just don't know how it applys to a 2 stroke...POPS

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
well seeing as all the reading and experience i have on that matter like you is in relation to valved 4 stroke engines. which from what i have read the reasoning for this is because the pulse length from the valves dynamically charging opposing cylinders. so not sure how its going to work with a 2 stroke especially because the crank case is part of the intake as well.

Jim talk to your friend Brenden about this, its one issue i cant really find solid facts on.
I went next door this afternoon to ask brendan about the intake:

The length of the intake is related to the port timing and a tuned exhaust. It's part of a total package.

The length of the intake will not make any difference in one of these engines, out-of-the -box.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have enough done to justify a new post with pics that shows what is being done to greatly increase the quality of these engines.

Jim.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
runslikeapenguin,

I forgot to mention that the cylinder head diagram you posted is exactly what Brendan recommended. He gave me the exact numbers so we should end up with a good cylinder head.

As you pointed out the original is bad enough to where he expects a 15-20% increase in power just from a proper cylinder head.

This engine is going to get a billet cylinder head, and while I'm at it...I'll increase the surface area of the cooling fins.

I did a lot of stuff for him in Solidworks last year at no charge...He always said if I ever needed any help tuning a two-stroke...just ask. Little did I know that day would actually come. He'll be helping me to the end of this project, and I will offer nicely reworked engines at a fair price. I've learned a lot from him.

He was amazed at my patience in getting a perfect computer generated balance of the crankshaft. As stated before it's impossible to actually balance a single cylinder engine, but it is possible to cycle it through the mass properties feature in a high-end design program to create a best case scenario without resorting to trial and error. The crank, rod, wrist-pin, and piston were acurately modeled. I used his digital gram scale to verify the weight of each component.

In terms of vibration, this engine will run just like any other high quality 2-cycle engine.

Jim

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Billlllet.......woooooooh...... =-]'

Yeah, I can't wait to put the next generation motor through it's paces.
Good thing I got absolutely all the glitches out of my drivetrain.
Jim, we should ride my bike as is up and down the street just before
the motor swap to get a seat-of-the-pants feel.
Maybe do an 1/8 mile time comparison, or 0-35 time comparo.

I'm so freakin' stoked !!!
I've been waiting since November for this motor to be a reality.

'B
.shft.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
I want to move to FL. and get a shop right beside Jims. He would hate me within a week.
"Ain't that guy ever gonna go home" and stop buggin me with all those questions and stuff...POPSbrnot
PS. Put me down for 2 heads ASAP....RICK

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I want to move to FL. and get a shop right beside Jims. He would hate me within a week.
"Ain't that guy ever gonna go home" and stop buggin me with all those questions and stuff...POPSbrnot
PS. Put me down for 2 heads ASAP....RICK
Pops...I have learned what I know by asking questions...and when I'm, "in the know", and people ask, I always answer. Sometimes we're the teacher, sometimes we're the student...we all have something to teach, and learn.

Jim

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Jim
You have a GREAT attitude and I try to live buy the same credo. It's people like you that make this a GREAT form and a place to learn and share all of our knowledge. Collective soul helps us reach our ultimate goal of reliable fun transportation. You inspire me to warp nine CAPTAIN...Keep up the good work and thanks again for sharing with us all...RICK

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
Jim,
I've already started saving my spare change for your upgraded engine. I predict, you will dominate the engine market if you can transform these ugly little "creatures" into something reliable and more powerful. I've got your clutch actuator kit and was impressed by the thought that went into it and I'm getting very excited at the prspect of a real happy happy time engine!!!!!!!!!!!