Bike in the rain

GoldenMotor.com

Zakmotorbike

Aug 18, 2015
Clovis
Alright guys new to the forum. But here is my question. I'm going to be riding my bike to school and supposedly California is supposed to get a lot of rain this winter. Only had his motor for about a month and I want to know if I can lock my bike up for school and not have to worry about it sitting outside all day when I am in school if it rains. Will it ruin the motor. Should I put a bag or something over the bike so water doesn't get in the carb or anything? Also where can I buy a locking gas cap? I'm kinda worried about people messing with my bike but there is a camera right next to the bike rack so I should be fine. Thanks!! And also how would a good way be to mount a rack on the back of my bike for my football gear and a americanflag.usflg:-||:-||

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
i ride in the rain also..
FENDERS!!!!
plastic ones. they are the safest and cheapest.
also, waterproof the Magneto compartment, or the magneto
they HATE getting wet.

Zakmotorbike

Aug 18, 2015
Clovis
i ride in the rain also..
FENDERS!!!!
plastic ones. they are the safest and cheapest.
also, waterproof the Magneto compartment, or the magneto
they HATE getting wet.
Where can I get the plastic fenders? Because it is on a mountain bike. And also what is the best way for waterproofing the magneto? And do I need anything else for when it is parked?

Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
Yes, fenders and a magneto seal are a must for wet conditions. And your username intrigues me, because my last name is Zak, and i haven't seen it spelled Z-A-K all that many times. And i too live in california, and i will be riding my M B to school as well! Also, fenders give it an awesome dirtbike look too. I wouldn't leave my bike out in the rain, because even with a magneto seal if one drop of water gets on the magneto coil then you are pedaling home, which is not fun.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
make sure you leave it under some kind of roof so it doesnt get wet. also a tip from experience: keep a spare magneto. it may get a bit of water on it while riding in the rain. then the rain may stop and you think you're in the clear. but that little bit of water can cause your magneto to die several days later and leave you stumped. so keep a spare at home so you can switch it out if this happens to you

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Where can I get the plastic fenders? Because it is on a mountain bike. And also what is the best way for waterproofing the magneto? And do I need anything else for when it is parked?
If your gasket is in good shape, you just need to seal up the wiring hole in the front. You could use silicone seal, the blue stuff is the best. It's durable and easy to get back off when you need to rewire or change the coil. A real thin coat on the gasket wouldn't hurt anything, as long as you only use a thin film.

I used a little spot of it to stick the wiring to the frame tube at the splice just outside the cover. The splice is down in it, talk about waterproofing- it's a submarine.

Maybe you could take a piece of visqueen, clear plastic drop cloth material, about 2X4 feet to school with you. Drape it over the tank and engine and use a bungie cord to keep the wind from blowing it away.

Last edited:

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
you can get fenders at rei over at riverpark. bike shops should have them, prices might be cheaper or expensive depending on which shops.