North Carolina registration of Mopeds

GoldenMotor.com

Dulcijo

Aug 25, 2014
North Carolina
Starting July 1 North Carolina requires motorized vehicles to be registered and tagged. I went to the tag office to register my two motorized bikes and they needed a bill of sale, VIN number, or serial number, and company that manufactured the bike. I had none of these since I made my two bikes from scratch. After a couple trips to the tag office I was told I needed to take the bikes to the highway patrol station to get a VIN number. I took them to the highway patrol office and a very nice lady looked at the bikes and her biggest concern seemed to be odometer readings. My bikes have odometers but I have to change the cheap speedometers about every couple of months so the odometers are not accurate. She called the main office and was told odometers were not required for mopeds. She told me I was the first in the State to request a moped tag for a custom moped. She told me a VIN number would take a few days to a couple of weeks for her to receive. She would call me and I would need to bring the bikes back to the highway patrol station and she would put the vin number on the bikes in two locations (decals)
After I get the VIN numbers I can get the tag and registration (I hope).

Attachments