Alaskan Build

GoldenMotor.com

xspaceghostx

Nov 18, 2013
South Carolina
Hello everyone! I'm starting a build with either a specialized Hardrock or Rockhopper (I haven't decided which to use yet) with a standard 60cc kit. I've already done a good amount of research and have an upgraded Fuel Filter, Fuel Valve, Air filter, and mounting hardware on the way from SickBikeParts.com. I'm spending the summer near Denali national park in Alaska and thus am trying to have a reliable build with limited access to tools and equipment.

What else would anyone recommend before I start to break in the engine?
Also what fuel to oil ratios should I use as I break it in?

I know bikes really well, but these small engines are new to me. I'll be posting continuously as I build and upgrade parts (already trying to fit a CDI and expansion chamber into the budget)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
First mount the engine solid to the frame, don't use rubber between the mount and frame. I run 24/1 mix using a good grade 2 cycle oil for air cooled engines, the Lucas semisynthetic has worked well and is smokeless. Run two to three tanks at 24/1 then you can run 32/1. If you don't have a lot of experience with small engines its best to change one thing at a time, sometimes a upgrade or change doesn't help. If you do several things at once it can be hard to determine what went wrong.

xspaceghostx

Nov 18, 2013
South Carolina
Heard. Thanks for the advice!!! The parts I'm waiting on are simply parts that I've read people having issues with out of the same kit I have. Now to just waiting on them to arrive and then a 14 mile non-motorized ride to the gas station... Haha

xspaceghostx

Nov 18, 2013
South Carolina
So I started to set everything up on the Hardrock frame and ran into two mounting issues:

The down tube apparently in big enough to warrant an 'oversized' mount, but the one that my kit came with is a pain to tighten down. I think that I'm going to just order the universal mount from sickbikeparts.com as I've only heard good things about all their products.

The bigger problem: The rear mount is not flush at all. What is the best way to fix this? Keep in mind I have VERY limited tools here. I think that the best bet would be to order a pack of silicon carbide sandpaper and just sand away until it fits right?

The other option is to ship my Rockhopper in, which I know will fit, for ~$160...

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It looks like the mounting studs clear the seat post tube so that's good, I would cut off or grind the ears off of the mount adapter till the the frame tube touched in the center. I have used a die grinder with a carbide rasp to do this. If your kit came with different straps to mount the engine use the thickest one possible, the more strength you have it is less likely to give problems.

xspaceghostx

Nov 18, 2013
South Carolina
I would cut off or grind the ears off of the mount adapter till the the frame tube touched in the center. I have used a die grinder with a carbide rasp to do this.
No power tools available =(
Think sanding with silicon carbide sandpaper would take far too long?

If your kit came with different straps to mount the engine use the thickest one possible, the more strength you have it is less likely to give problems.
By straps do you mean the curved metal plates? In the front or the back?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
A flat file or round file will do, it will just take a while. The back mount strap around the seat post on one of my builds needed the thick back strap to cut down on vibrations.

xspaceghostx

Nov 18, 2013
South Carolina
So I ordered a half-round file. It finally came in yesterday. Got everything mounted up. Assembling everything and the adjustment screw on top of the clutch arm snaps off inside the hole... Uploading and attaching picture now. I'm kind of mad this is one of the only studs or nuts I hadn't upgraded and am thinking I'm not gonna get this thing built before September when my job ends... Sigh uploading picture now...