Faux Crank case mount…made of wood?

GoldenMotor.com

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Hey Guys,

I'm starting a new build with a 2 stroke Dax kit. I'm going for the board track look and am using a 1955 Columbia straight bar Frame. I'm trying to find some options for a faux crankcase and was wondering if I could make one out of wood and then paint it to match the engine. I would mount it normal under the fake crank case so it would be just for visual effect but am worried about the heat of the motor on the wood. Anyone recommend using high temp paint on the wood or is the heat not that much of an issue (it would be matched right up to the motor to look seamless).

I don't have access to a welder to make one metal but have the woodworking skills and tools to make it. I'm thinking of the same thing for a faux tool box in between the seat tube and rear tire but don't have to worry about heat there. Let me know your thoughts and if this is not wise. Thanks!

Here's a picture of my frame for reference…

Keith

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The engine won't produce enough heat to hurt the wood. What you want to keep in mind is to not block air flow over and around the cooling fins of the cylinder and cylinder head. The engine can be painted with any paint and doesn't require "high temp" paint. I've painted many engines using Dupli-Color automotive touch-up, Rustoleum, Krylon and model airplane paint. Never had an issue.

Leave space for air to circulate around the engine and you'll be good.

Post some photos of this project. Sounds interesting. Good luck.

Tom

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Thanks Tom. This makes me feel better. I'm actually not covering up the motor but just mounts and adding a curved crankcase to be butted up against the bottom of the motor. I started a build thread in the Board Track Racer part of the forum. Been studying painting techniques for that barn find look. Hope it turns out as good as I'm envisioning it. =)

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Also, will I need a different mount than the kit mount since it's not a v frame? I know there's more distance to cover than normal. Thoughts on a quality one that will cover the distance in the gap?

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I think the SbP universal front mount would work. It can also be flipped over so given a shout. So if you are going with a barn find look that old rust light I showed you should look perfect.