sometimes it's just not worth being cheap

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I guess you do in fact get what you pay for. THese handlebars were $7, and this happened while merely kickstarting the bike.

Back to straight bars for now I guess. Then I just gotta find a good set of riser bars.

bleh, so much for my bike ride tonight.

Attachments

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Yeah, so am I. That woulda sucked at 35mph.

Put my straight bar back on. I hate leaning over like that. Oh well.

They have less room than the riser bars, so I had to relocate the speedo. I think it works well right there.

Attachments

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Go to the thrift stores and find a kiddie 20' BMX bike for 10 dolla.
Snatch up the handlebars. Some even have that strong gooseneck with the 4 allen bolts but some goosenecks are too fat.
BMX bars won't do that because of the extra brace. Then you can ride upright again. And you'll also have extra parts!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I had thought about BMX bars, but most of them have a higher rise than I want. I am only looking to get a 3.5" rise.

I rode the bike today with my straight bars...wow what a difference. I need to get another set of risers ASAP. Too much of a leaning forward position which makes my hands go numb anyway....couple that with increased vibrations due to the fact that it's a more solid piece...my ride wasn't that great. :(

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
No, the muffler is on the bike. I had taken it off to try and seal it up a little better with muffler repair goop.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
When I was using a solid pipe, I had to reapply it maybe every month and a half because it was cracking. Once I used some metal mesh stuff with it it was much better though. I'm not sure how it's going to hold up with this flex conduit I'm using...it's already cracked again at the muffler.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Go to the thrift stores and find a kiddie 20' BMX bike for 10 dolla.
Snatch up the handlebars. Some even have that strong gooseneck with the 4 allen bolts but some goosenecks are too fat.
BMX bars won't do that because of the extra brace. Then you can ride upright again. And you'll also have extra parts!
You spent $10, you got robbed. I got a 20" for $3.99 and if I could have waited a day I could have got it at 1/2 off. Only problem I had was that I was on my bike when I bought the BMX so I had a couple issues getting it home. I think the 20" rims might become part of a trailer. It also include a strange brake pull that splits into 2 cables and then back to 1 cable

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
By last thrift store score was 5 dolla. I wait too when everything is half off!
Garage sales are another good score. Wait till around 3:00 pm when they just want to see their stuff gone then they'll accept anything.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have you both beat, I bought a Puch and a cranboob for 2 dollars for both. The Puch just sold for 35 dollars, the cranboob is a parts bike.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
how wide are the kids bmx bars typically? My riser bars were 27" wide and I loved it. My straight bars are much narrower and I hate it now.

I wonder...would an alloy bar be stronger than a steel bar in regards to bending like this? I can get basically the same bar but in alloy. (for 3x as much)

Or maybe something like this?
Tranz-X DH Handlebar 2" 25" 25.4mm With Cross Bar Black

Mainly I just want to stick to the 2-3.5" rise range....I really don't like the look of the 5"+ riser bars, which is how tall most BMX bars are...