Good article about riding an electric bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
This write up is a very accurate description of what owning an ebike can be like, and I find it very similar to my own experience. Even though I'm not actually considering selling my car, I definitely drive less, and ride more.

http://electricbikereport.com/why-i-sold-my-car-for-an-electric-bike/
We always need a car or truck here for many things but despite the e-Bike authors enthusiasm for a 'pedal assist' that actually makes you have to pedal, he simply has not experienced geared 'pedal if you want to' drive trains.

Gears and pedal freedom change everything.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't think we'll be talking my wife out of her car any time soon either, but this riders experience is still valid for overall, even if most people will decide keep their cars.

Being a life long motorcycle rider I've always felt the same way about motorcycles as he does about his ebike, but when I started riding back in the 60s there weren't any ebikes. Now most of the advantages I liked about motorcycles over cars apply to ebikes even more, when talking about riding in the city.

The trend nowadays more, and more for young people is not to own cars, and instead to live in the inner city, close enough to everything to ride a bicycle, or use public transportation. But even so this type of transportation takes either 1. a lot of time, or 2. cost money, and even more time. It's always going to be true that time is money, and so an ebike is a very good way to both save time, and money all at once as the author accurately points out.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
We always need a car or truck here for many things but despite the e-Bike authors enthusiasm for a 'pedal assist' that actually makes you have to pedal, he simply has not experienced geared 'pedal if you want to' drive trains.

Gears and pedal freedom change everything.
I sold my car said:
For clarity sake, an electric bike or ‘ebike’ is a pedal assisted bike; it has a motor and battery pack, and each pedal push you give it boosts a little more than what you do on your own.It’s almost completely silent, and really nothing like the obnoxiously loud mopeds you occasionally see around. My initial pre-ride judgment was that this was a heavier bike than any I’d ridden before (45lbs versus my sub 20 road bike)...
I really don't think it's that he "has not experienced geared 'pedal if you want to' drive trains" rather I think it's clear that the author was already a cyclist, which explains the eager willingness to be rid of the car and the interest in both pedaling & peddling a pedal-assist pedelec over the more common (in US) throttle controlled ebike.

For many pedalists, that so-called "pedal freedom" is exactly what they don't want & for the majority of those, represents everything they don't like about the growing motorized bicycle activity at large. We've all heard the tune & many would disagree but for him it's as valid a reason as any we have, to fill that gap between, to be rid of a car as much as possible yet when a bicycle alone not quite enough - the only difference is some would rather the emphasis remained on some amount of physical exertion, for exercise or any of the other reasons, for the lean to be still more HPV then motor vehicle rather then the other way around.

We've all our preferences, reasons & rationalizations in deciding to do what we do, I think it does him a disservice to assume ignorance, discrediting the underlying truth of the article - that here for all intents and purposes appears to be a roadbiker converted to the path of the motorist more so then an automobilist deciding to try an ebike...

..and that is I believe far more a profound victory for the activity, making any personal pedal preference moot by comparison lol

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've been riding my Bomber with a bicycle riding group that rides once a week on Tuesdays. Most of the people in this group are young inner city bicyclers. Many of them are, I assume a lot like the author of this article. It wouldn't surprise if more than half of them don't own a car. I found them on Face Book.

The first time I showed up to ride I was somewhat apprehensive about how they would accept having, not only an eBike riding along, but especially an uber eBike like mine.

Well to make a long story short, it turned out not to be an issue, and the main reason I'm pretty sure, is because of the way I ride my bike. I rode with them two nights ago. I prefer to ride near the back of the pack. I don't show off, and in fact, I act like I can barely keep up. I always pedal even though I don't have to.

These people are casual riders of mixed gender, on nice bicycles, but they're not spandexers. They keep a reasonably slow pace of about 8 to 15 mph. On this Tuesday's ride, about 8 miles into a 12 mile ride, one of the riders rode up next to me, and started a conversation. He ask, does that have a motor? I answered yes. Then he ask me a surprising question, when do you use it lol? I actually had been using it the whole time, but he couldn't tell. I explained my bike weighs 100 lb, and I couldn't keep up with their pace for very long if I didn't use the motor a little bit to help me. Plus the fact that the starting point is 17 miles from my house. He had this funny on his face, and I was half expecting some kind of derogatory comment, but after what seemed like a long pregnant pause he said, "that's cool as s#$t".

It probably wouldn't have been that way five years ago, but that's where we're at now. So far I haven't heard one disparaging word, but I'm sure that mainly has to do with the way I ride when I'm with their group.

I wonder what they'd think if they saw me riding the 20 miles home from the end of their ride at 45 mph lol.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I'm seriously considering going smart pie with "pedalec" for my next effort. Smaller and lighter, no throttle, it just senses your pedaling and responds accordingly. Can also use a smaller and lighter battery.