Electric recommendations for Sun X3 and 70 yr. old

GoldenMotor.com

Abouna

May 20, 2012
Iowa
Well I'm back again.

My father has been asking about a motor for his bike again. He wants to get the exercise but unfortunately he's heavy and we live in a steep valley. He simply can't get out of the valley under his own power.

I'd really appreciate some help with the following:

- Sun X3 SX trike
- Electric motor. Don't care what kind as long as it's not too complex.
- Power is much more important than speed. It needs to move a 280 lb rider.
- His last set-up was heavy! I'd like to save some weight if possible but I assume SLA is still the way too go barring Li-ion prices.

He used to have a 2 wheel recumbent which I had installed a 16" hub motor on the front. It worked well but the weight of the hub motor made it steer poorly when not in use. I think though that with a trike this will be less of an issue.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If this is your trike, I would look for a front electric hub motor kit. The one in the pic has a gas motor but it looks like the installation would require fabrication.

RWP

May 24, 2011
SoCal
The trick new setup for electric bicycles/trikes these days is the BBS02 Mid Drive Conversion kit. It is a bottom bracket replacement and works on 90+% of all bicycles out there. It is easy to install and comes with a display and water resistant snap together wiring harness - also has brake levers with switches to turn off power when the brakes are applied. Pare it with a 48v-10Ah+ battery and you are good to go.

You can get one here:
www.lectriccycles.com
They come in a 36v (350W) and 48v config and I recommend the 750W-48v BBS02

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'd suggest looking at the site for Golden Motor (one of the advertisers here) and consider a front wheel hub motor Should be a way to carry the batteries low behind the seat or under it.
SB

Abouna

May 20, 2012
Iowa
Thanks everyone, he's more keen on gas now! Geez this is hard.

The weight and cost savings are a major factor. Just can't swing nigh on $2k for a Li-ion kit.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ