new guy here frame decision time.

GoldenMotor.com

tx1211

Feb 12, 2014
houston
hello to all ,
new here from texas just about to pull the trigger on building a bike of my own to sport around beach house.need some help choosing a bike/frame on a some what of tight budget . so far i know from what ive read that im looking for a standard v-type frame in steel . i have found one thats somewhat affordable not to expensive the only thing it really lacjs is disc brakes which could always be put on later
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_560012_-1___204584

let me know what you guys think
and give me your input on motors . which company and why ? so far i like the looks of Dax

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Welcome Tx,
Discs aren't that important.
Good caliper brakes work OK.
Bike should be alright, things to watch is distance between pedals, motor is 5".
Some of those type of mountain bike's can be a bit tight in the carb area.
Requiring offset manifold.

tx1211

Feb 12, 2014
houston
im thinking of trying to do the husky alpine . as its a steel frame. or the pacific stratus or possibly the huffy granite . the i was going to order a fork/disc brake setup off amazon or ebay.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I ordered my fork and brakes after I got my bicycle also, I like disk brakes and I really like shocks at least on the front of the motorized bicycle. key is make sure the triangle is large enough for the motor and go from their and see which bicycle will give you the best looking ride

tx1211

Feb 12, 2014
houston
im just trying to find a source of anyone who has used any of those bikes or an afforable bike i could use that wouldnt break my bank.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I get all mine from the Dump.
When you find a suitable frame, It can then be worth buying a second hand bike for the parts you need. That for me is the most affordable way of finding a frame/bike that suits.
The only one of my Push bikes that I have bought was $100 at 'Cash Converters' on a 30% off sticker (approx. $450 new).

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree with Theon. You can get a very nice older mountain bike for about$100 bucks used from craigslist or a local thrift store/pawnshop/Goodwill.
I bought my Pig for $150 and it's been very reliable. Great steel frames and better hardware than you can afford on a new bike makes the used stuff the best bang for the buck.
You could duplicate my Specialized Hard Rock for $250 if you pay what I did. Just check around. Look for decent brand names with V-brakes and good wheels.
The better the base, the better the finished build.
Screw Wallyworld, find a good used bike.