Superpedestrian Copenhagen Wheel

GoldenMotor.com

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Thought I share this new product being released. I found it via a link after reading an news article on the product. It is being promoted as a hybrid. I am in no way connected to the product. Thought I'd share with those interested.

It is a pedal assist electric wheel that was developed at MIT and made in the USA. It looks self contained and has no controllers or throttle on the handlebars - a clean design. It can reach speeds of 20 mile per hour. Has regenerative braking. It learns your riding habits via algorithms.

I guess the product was featured in the television series Weeds and had popular demand.

Here's the link to the product: https://www.superpedestrian.com/

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i think we are going to be seeing more and more motorized bicycles introduced. a lot of research and things are just going to get better

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Looks like a nice machine. I do hate to think of the price, though. (Don't tell me. I don't want to know)

But even that's not necessarily fatal. As they, hopefully, produce more and more of them and competing designs, with similar capabilities, come into production that aspect of the situation should improve.

Still, I guess I will point out flaws. You can't carry cargo on that. And it's a 'fair weather' bike. Without being able to carry clothing for various weather conditions plus, say, a bit of groceries or other odds and ends that you might pick up at the store, it's just not viable everyday-type transportation.

But maybe I'm being too hard on that particular bike? Fenders and cargo racks could be added, I suppose. I know I'd find a way. Even if it was ugly.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
I see no torque arm but I guess it does not need one because you have to pedal to make it go ?

The computer just won't let it make alot of torque ? The torque has to come from the pedals ?

Surely the easiest electric bike kit to install. :)

$699 with batteries is not bad at all.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Honestly I would much rather have a nice cruiser with a magic pie or such but I can see how others might like a simple all in one wheel thing.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
The more I think about it the more I would like to have a Copenhagen Wheel developers edition to play with. :)

The smartphone dashboard is too sweet ! ! ! :)

I have a real nice Huffy Concours Professional with a flat bar that would hold one. :)

Thanks for posting about this BigBlue ! :)

Last edited:

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Because of the venture capital and preorder stuff and the somewhat thrown together website that lacks detailed info ? :)

A123 claimed MIT connections and had a cheesy web site too.

I don't preorder myself.

Last edited:

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
I do hope it is for real and not another "go green save the world" ripoff.

I think most factory electric cars, electric motorcycles and pricey electric bicycles are ripoffs.

edit

the ad to the left of this post changed to an ad that said "just say no to electric bikes" and below that was an ad for 2 stroke bike motors.

Then it changed to an ad for a 2014 Chrysler Town and Country. :)

When I sell stuff on craigslist they email me at my gmail account.

Ads will pop up on my gmail account trying to sell me stuff like I listed on craigslist. :)

Google reads my emails and tries to figure out what I might want to buy. :)

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I do hope it is for real and not another "go green save the world" ripoff.

When I sell stuff on craigslist they email me at my gmail account.

Ads will pop up on my gmail account trying to sell me stuff like I listed on craigslist. :)

Google reads my emails and tries to figure out what I might want to buy. :)
Just rolls eyes...

They still haven't found the right LI battery combination to fit in their pie cut shape and it can't pack much of a punch.
How they can quote is quote speed and distance between chargers whithout that I don't know.

It is a fixed pedal gear ratio and you have to pedal to make it go but it starts getting crazy after that...

It might as well be called the Google wheel.
You need a frigg'n smart phone with WiFI, bluetooth, and a separate cell phone account for the wheel to even use the thing!

It has no throttle so it uses the smart phone to guess how fast I want to go, even where I want to go? (read the kickstarter listing)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flykly/flykly-smart-wheel

That network connection is so every single thing about where your bike as well as your phone are at all times for the government or your boss or your spouse to monitor as well as every sales pitch along your route right to your handlebar mounted required cell phone.

But hey, it comes with a tire rub generator to keep your smart phone charged while you ride because it looks to me the thing won't even function without that Bluetooth connection and their app on your working phone.

And what happens after a year when the batteries die and the 1 year cell phone contract ends and you have to break the wheel to change the batteries and renew a cell phone contract for your frigg'n wheel to work?

I am sure this wheel is aimed at the overly social 'share every moment of my life' spandex wearing, $2K bike buying, permanently super snooping high tech cell phone packing riders because it sure isn't geared to me and I really like electric bikes.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Ouch !

What ads showed up for you on the bottom sides of the screen after you posted that ? :)

I am getting a Geico ad at the bottom on both sides.

They do electric bikes ?

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I missed the part about needing a smartphone to make the thing work. Well that's a complete turnoff for a start. I do own a cellphone, a very old Nokia, but I only carry that so the resthome where Mum is now can get in touch with me. The whole smartphone, Faceplant, social media for the sake of it type nonsense just leaves me cold.

All my e.bike stuff is generic Chinese and I'm completely happy with it.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Last edited: