i've got black and blue but no white..can i add a white wire ???

GoldenMotor.com

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
i've built 4 kits so far and all of the magnetos have only a black and blue wire. can I add a white wire to the coil ??? if so, how? I'd really like to not have to buy a replacement magneto with a white wire if I can just add the white wire to what I've already got.

cheers

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
few folks have had any luck trying to use the white wire for anything - I'm happy not having one to confuse folks

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Wow! Now the factories are no longer making engines with the white wire? This is excellent news!
The white wire was originally there to power a headlight. It really could not do it. There just was not enough power generated by it to run a light bright enough to be of any use.
It was recommended that the white wire be removed before the wiring was even connected.
If you really want a power generator to run lights, try one if these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Volt-Elec...267?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d285f79cb

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Why would you want a white wire? It is basically useless and only causes problems when they aren't insulated and come in contact with the frame. Many of us cut the thing off of every magneto we use. Personally I feel that eliminating the white wire by the factories is one of the best improvments I've seen from them lately.

Nevertheless, to answer your question, no, you can't add a wire to the coil. The white wire was a totally separate winding in the older magneto coils.

Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i unsolder and remove the white wire completely.

on all the magnetos i've seen, the blue is soldered to a tab on the top of the coil, the white on the bottom, and the black screws into a mounting bolt.

older motors used the white as a kill switch. i've never had a problem using it, but others claim burnt out mags and cdi's.

if you've found some use for a white wire, if the mag has a tab on the bottom you could probably solder it on.