1947 H Exhaust & Carb Question

GoldenMotor.com

Flathead One

Feb 13, 2013
USA
Im building a Whizzer and my foundation is a 1947 Model-H motor and a 1960 Schwinn Fleet 26 Frame. Couple of questions

1. Will new Whizzer Exhaust I see for sale fit this configuation?

2. ML-5B vs ML-3B. I know 5b was original but seems 3b's are cheaper when I find them. Will they work??

3. New Whizzer tank on old Schwinn, any fit issues.

Did a search but really didnt see much as far as fit, trial & error.

Thanks

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Don't know on the carbs...I buy the Chinese cheapos.. Tank and exhaust should be fine.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Flathead as far as the iron exhaust manifold that would be correct on the 1947 H motor, it would use Flex Exhaust tubing (we have in SS) and I do not believe that the WC-1 style New Edition pipe will go in that manifold.
If you use either the later aluminum (J and up I believe) the wc1 pipe should fit. In addition, the wc1 aluminium manifold can go on your H except the the original mounting bolts are too small.

Now, beware, as the later NE pipes were larger diameter, and used a larger bore manifold, so you'd need pipe and manifold that way.

My 1946 H has a later barrel, and wc1 manifold with repop of original Echo Pipe, high compression head, and tall breather with the later Carter Carb.
The ML3B is going to be pretty big for a stock H, altho might work well on one like mine, opened up as it is. You will be much better off with the correct carb.

My 1947 H is dead stock, still has 1/4 head bolts, ML3B carb, short breather and an NOS flex pipe and tip.

If you opened up the ports a bit, used hi-fin head and the Reground Hi Lift cam, the bigger carb might work real nice, tho you'd still have the smaller valves.

Hope this helps,

Mike

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi on the tank, I seem to remember that the mounting straps for the New Edition Whizzer were a bit on the large side, some guys buy the orig mounting for the tanks, and solder them in place on the NE or WC-1 style tanks.

Not hard to do, but better if the tank has never had fuel in it, so it wont try to explode. I know I have a bunch of those non-embossed wc1 tanks that have never tasted fuel, and that's the safe way to go.

You could either modify the wc-1 style straps, or make your own, as an option.

Watch out that your frame is a Balloon Frame (26 x 2.125 tires) not a Middleweight (26 x 1 3/4 tires), as the middleweight will cause you to need to open up the rear fork and chain stays for sheave and belt clearances.

I'm in North Ca, where are you located?

Mike