cdi cable upgrade

GoldenMotor.com

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
hey everyone, can any one tell me where i could order a high performance cdi cable,because i want my bike to become more responsive,like if i give it lots of throttle on gravel it will be able to do a little drift, or any other type of upgrade to make it more powerful or responsive, thanks in advance :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A new spark plug wire isn't going to make you do wheelies. If you currently are using the kit supplied plug wire it's better than what you'll get at the auto parts stores because it has a metallic conductor. The wires from the parts place will be resistance wire.

You can replace that stupid plastic plug boot however. Get a good automotive quality boot and use a spark plug with the top cap still installed.

Look at expansion chamber exhaust and proper carburetor tuning as the first steps to upping your performance.

Tom

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yup, what 2door said, and increase compression, if you want to feel the power down low.
...but there goes any reliability and your ride-ability. It will become pipey.
It's always a trade off!
rc

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
thanks, do you guys know where i can get a thinner head gasket to increase compression, but does that even make a big difference? or at least add some hp? thanks

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Possibly the best way to do that at home is to lap the cylinder to the head using some wet & dry sandpaper. Start with some coarser paper if you wish to actually remove a bit of metal to bump up the compression ratio.
IIRC, .030" might get you 1/2 a point.

Many of the better builders advise a teardown for inspection, of a chinagirl, before installation, and lapping the head to the cylinder would be part of this process because machining is notably poor on a regular basis.

Good luck
rc