Another insurance thread-- NJ

GoldenMotor.com

patk5508

Jul 30, 2013
mount laurel
So, I built my first motorized bike, runs great, 'twas a good day. Unfortunately, after calling 5 different insurance companies, I simply cannot find one that will insure a kit moped. While it is legal in NJ, the first step is insurance and I'm at a loss! I made sure to brush up on state law, so I'm positive I'm handing them the right information, as well.

The question is, does anyone know a smaller insurance company than the big names I have already tried that will actually insure one of these things?

.kick2

patk5508

Jul 30, 2013
mount laurel
Found this little idea trolling NJ threads: Buy crum moped w/ title from junkyard. Cut off Vin and id# from crum moped. Weld and insure/register motor'ed bike as crum moped. Finally, generally have a better day than before.

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
I'll start off by saying that I can't help you with the insurance problem, but I think you'd be asking for a world of trouble if you put a vin on it from a junkyard moped. If you were to get pulled over and they ran the numbers, it would show up on their system as a whatever it is moped and, of course, that's not what you're riding and you'll probably go to jail for taking a vin from one vehicle and putting it on another one.