Found head I'm thinking about trying on my oldest engine.

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Doing some browsing on treatland.tv and came across this wicked looking head that has the same bolt pattern as the Puch & Tomos heads, I really like the look of the tall cooling fins on this head, I have my oldest engine that has the 6mm jug/head studs, thinking I may have to order one of these and give it a whirl on that engine and just see if I experience any felt power increase, I'm gonna build an expansion chamber exhaust for it when the chamber gets here and I thought I might try this head while I'm at it and see how it works out.

Only question I have in mind is whether this head will have an advantage over the Puch 50cc hi hi head, big difference in price yamaha malossi RD50 & DT50 70cc cylinder head cost $66.00 the Puch 50cc hi hi head is only $30.00.

anyone with any experience with either of these heads please jump in here and tell me what you think, I know the big craze right now is the "Fred Head" and I'm sure they're great, just dont know if I would see and performance advantage with one of them over one of these, plus I'll be putting the head on an engine with 6mm studs and the Fred Head is designed for 8mm studs.

Yamaha malossi RD50 & DT50 70cc cylinder head

Puch 50cc hi hi compression head

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
No didnt see that post..... Thanks

I'll look at that a little closer I might be interested if he hasn't opened the chamber up larger on it, I need the smaller combustion chamber for the 6mm stud engine I have because those engine have a shorter piston dome which requires that the combustion chamber be smaller than the chambers that the current 66cc bike engines have.

Thanks again xseler

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just paid for the Head, Thanks for the (Heads up) on this deal....LOL!

I ask about if head was stock port and I was told it is, so I figured for $20.00 what the heck, I'll give it a shot and see what it looks like when I get it, needs a good cleaning, probably sand blast it good and put some flat black on it and sand off the top of fins for a cool look if I use it on the bike I want it for.

Here is the Head as it is shown on treatland.tv

( puch 50cc NOS stock hi torque head )

Thanks again for the link xseler

Map

Last edited:

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
one question why would you paint the head? the clean aluminium will release heat better then it will if you paint it. personally even though it would look good Id never paint the jug or head on one of these motors it might not raise the temp much but even a little is to much IMHO.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
one question why would you paint the head? the clean aluminium will release heat better then it will if you paint it. personally even though it would look good Id never paint the jug or head on one of these motors it might not raise the temp much but even a little is to much IMHO.
Yeah I've seen the debate on to paint or not to paint....

Don't think it actually matters much myself, I have a 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim in line 4 cyl engine, air cooled came from the factory with head and cylinders painted black with the outer edge fins being left alum color, same is also the case for my 2007 FXSTC Harley Davidson, if the major manufactures of those air cooled bikes don't see it as a problem I don't either as long as a person doesn't paint 10 heavy coats of the stuff on it I don't see that it will hurt a thing, people have been running these engines all painted up for several years now and I haven't heard of a single failure do to the paint someone put on it and heat isn't the real issue with these engines failing, its the low quality of the bearing that usually get them probably 90+% of the time, or junk 2 smoke oil mixed at the wrong ratio... upgraded bearings usually gets all you will ever get out of one of them, and with good quality oil/fuel mix you can expect a lot of miles if everything is maintained properly paint or no paint on the engine.

my opinion on this is completely based on my own experience and what I have seen here on the forum since I joined back in 2010, doesn't mean I'm 100% right on what I have said but I think I'm preety dang close.......LOL!
laff

Peace, Map
reddd

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
one thing you are missing about the factory engines you mention they both have oil in crankcase which helps cool a engine a lot.
That is very true and that is a good point.

Honestly I personally dont think it makes a big enough difference to be concerned about and it doesn't bother me for my engines to be painted, but that being said if someone is worried that it may cause a problem with their engine overheating I'd say don't paint it just for the peace of mind, personally I've only had two of these HT engines fail since I started messing with them, one engine was painted entirely black and the other one had no paint on it at all, the painted one had around 600 miles on it when I had a lower bearing failure and the unpainted engine had maybe 12-15 miles on it when the upper wrist pin bearing failed and trashed the jug and piston.

I say its just what a person wants to do when it comes to the paint or not to paint debate/question, like I said before I wouldn't paint my engine if I truly thought it could cause a failure, but since I don't think it changes a thing about the endurance of these HT engines it doesn't bother me in the least to paint one of them top to bottom.
Map
reddd

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
These things are more like volkswagon engines in that they are very understressed and easy to cool compared to a high-performance engine. There is no reason you cannot paint them if you choose.
If you are overheating, it's not caused by heat transfer issues. Any overheating problems on a HT two-stroke are caused by other issues besides painting the engine.
Something else is going on to make it overheat.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
Maniac for the most part I agree with you and if I was just putting a stock engine on a bike I dont think it would bother me at all to paint a stock engine. That said Im a tinker and cant leave well enough alone lol so the chances of me not trying to get all I can out of a engine are slim and for that reason ( for my peace of mind ) on these engines I will not paint the jug or head. All that said ( I say this part because of something my son said to me ) I also would not want to chrome the jug or head on one of these engines.

but to each there own I rather like look of the stock motor with a nicer head that is lol

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Maniac for the most part I agree with you and if I was just putting a stock engine on a bike I dont think it would bother me at all to paint a stock engine. That said Im a tinker and cant leave well enough alone lol so the chances of me not trying to get all I can out of a engine are slim and for that reason ( for my peace of mind ) on these engines I will not paint the jug or head. All that said ( I say this part because of something my son said to me ) I also would not want to chrome the jug or head on one of these engines.

but to each there own I rather like look of the stock motor with a nicer head that is lol
Not a thing wrong with that at all, do em the way you want em and enjoy em, if no paint adds peace of mind I say by all means do it that way, that doesn't hurt a thing, we all have our ownIideas and ways of thinking about many aspects of these cheapo 2 smokers, but at the end of the day if we make them safe and fun and we are confident in what we have done. It just a win win........ all the way across the board.

Map