Will this bike work?

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
got one in the back yard I'm thinking of doing - will need carb turned sideways to clear seat post & a friend did one that he had to eliminate the rear suspension on to keep the chain on it - motor mounts need to be made diff for this too

all-in-all, I've been unsure if it is worth the trouble

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
so can I, but I've done a lot of these 'problem builds' just to see how it comes out, then realize that I've got $400 - $600 into the labor on it & can't ever get that back on the sale

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
No on the 4 stroke. Yes on a two stroke if you use an offset intake manifold like crassius said (available from many engine vendors) or you modify the intake yourself to clear the seat tube.
Members with rear suspension usually run a second, spring loaded chain tensioner to keep it on the sprockets. The spring loaded tensioners are available from some engine vendors also. One of our members is selling engine mounted, spring loaded chain tensioners on EBay that look real clean and effective. They bolt onto the drive sprocket cover.

Robby

May 18, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
For a China Girl 2 stroke you would have to modify the motor mounts to fit the odd shaped frame and/or use different oversize frame adaptors. I'd recommend shopping around on eBay or Craigslist for a big name brand bike. You'll be retightening spokes in few hours of use (if they are not broke), re-adjusting everything etc etc.
Even though it's new, budget quality means lots of maintenance and upgrades to keep it rolling. Same money might buy you a used Giant, Trek etc. with good components.

You might be able to squeeze a friction drive mount just under the spring on the Walmart bike.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
What do you mean by modify engine mounts?
taking the mounting block off the back mount , and bending some metal to sit on front with longer studs to a pointy bracket (engine sits in there tight if you want it down low and level)