One of the best frames for motorizing.

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Just scored this gem on cl for $125! Big Specialized Hard Rock steel hardtail.
Some paint scuffs and the bars are a bit rusty. Got a worn out rear tire and rear brake pads but is mechanically very nice with a fresh shop tune up.
I'm totally keeping this bike and selling The Pig.
Anybody got a stupid huge motor for sale? I'm thinking Briggs...with some old-school kart tricks on it.
*rubs hands together with an evil laugh while muttering about pipes and heads and porting and shift kits*

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Nice find, yeah that bike has plenty of room for a cool 4 stroke build.

This is a USA made 3 speed Texas Ranger bike I picked up at a junk shop for $25, starting to think nice 4 stroke build for this one, I have two new in the boc HF Grey Hound 79cc 4 smokers stuck over in the corner.

map

Attachments

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm leaning towards a retro look on it with wide whites or maybe some fat franks...
Got a nice set of shorty fenders I'm thinking about too!

This bike is a little scuffed but mechanically mint (aside from brake pads) so I can't wait till the kit arrives so I can start porting it. I finally got a dremel and this time I'm going whole hog on the prep work. I'll be leaving the port timing alone yet opening up wherever possible to help flow and power as well as notching the piston for full intake flow and grinding small ramps in the piston crown for better flow. Might use a puch head sometime down the road and I want things cleaned up and perfected on this build. I'm not looking for more power so much as wider power across the band.
Mild porting and cleanup seems the best compromise between power and durability.
I'll be building a pipe for low-end as well so this should be nice ride for a big guy like me.

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm debating tearing it down for paint before or after the build. I have a habit of never breaking it down again after I start riding it, so I guess I have to do it BEFORE assembly if I ever expect it to happen. I know this thing is gonna ride good so maybe I'll make it look good too? Hmmm.
I'm not sure I want to wait though...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'm debating tearing it down for paint before or after the build. I have a habit of never breaking it down again after I start riding it, so I guess I have to do it BEFORE assembly if I ever expect it to happen. I know this thing is gonna ride good so maybe I'll make it look good too? Hmmm.
I'm not sure I want to wait though...
I know your pain bro. I'm the same way, some of it has to do with not having a good place to work on my stuff yet and another is that once I get something working right I dont like to mess with it, kinda a if it aint broke I dont fix it kinda mentality...LOL!

Best of luck with the new build, I look forward to seeing the progress as it goes along.

Peace, Map

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm going to try and document this build better by taking more pics as it comes together, rather than forgetting till it's done (like I usually do.)

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Well scotto, everyone has favorites. Yours look like winners too!

I think my hardrock is one of the best hardtail mountain bikes for a motor. They assemble very easily, especially for new builders, and they don't require a bank loan to buy!
So much room! Perfectly sized tubing! Good components! Rides like a Cadillac!
And best of all, the rear wheel accepts the kit ragjoint like it was made for it! Even better fit than the fixie I did.

The sprocket centers perfectly with NO shimming at all!
Now I have been building these things a while now and I can assemble a ragjoint even on difficult hubs, but it is really nice when something bolts together this easily. It makes building much quicker when the sprocket is straight and true without a lot of diddling.
Guys like us who know how to adapt kinda lose track of how hard it can be to get your first build going.
This bike is one of the best I've seen for making that first build easy and fun.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Got some small stuff done today on the HardRock build. Got both tires changed and the brakes adjusted properly.

Swapped out the plastic pedals for a nice aluminum pair from a HD freestyle bike.

MUCH better quality!
The brakes only needed adjustment since the tires are so much bigger than the street treads it was wearing when I got it. The brakes now work extremely well even with my 220-230lbs on board!
Didn't like the skinny tire look.

This bike is really solid and well maintained so I can't wait till I get the kit delivered and start building for real!
Stay tuned!!!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I think my hardrock is one of the best hardtail mountain bikes for a motor. They assemble very easily, especially for new builders, and they don't require a bank loan to buy!
So much room! Perfectly sized tubing! Good components! Rides like a Cadillac!
Guys like us who know how to adapt kinda lose track of how hard it can be to get your first build going.
This bike is one of the best I've seen for making that first build easy and fun.
Yes, that frame style is very engine mount friendly, especially with a china girl engine. I'm guessing you are fairly tall as that frame looks to be on the large side? Keep it coming..... (^)

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Yeah that's a good sized frame. Just curious, what size is it? in inches. 22''? 23"? 24"? Looks pretty big. Nice bike alright.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah that's a good sized frame. Just curious, what size is it? in inches. 22''? 23"? 24"? Looks pretty big. Nice bike alright.
My trained eyes are tellin me possibly 24" which is extremely large for a mountain bike.....you don't get too much bigger normally without special ordering one. It might be 22". I ride (and used to race)16.5"-18" mtn. bikes and I've got long legs for a shorter guy (5'8"). My 2 cents....

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My trained eyes are tellin me possibly 24" which is extremely large for a mountain bike.....you don't get too much bigger normally without special ordering one. It might be 22". I ride (and used to race)16.5"-18" mtn. bikes and I've got long legs for a shorter guy (5'8"). My 2 cents....
I forget the size, but it's one of the bigger ones available. The big frame really soaks up vibes nice which makes this a very comfy ride. With taller bars for an upright position my back will be happy as well as my buttocks!
It has good geometry as well, although my initial ride after changing the tires revealed some tread creeping issues. I'm hoping more psi will cure the wriggly feeling these tires seem to have. Might have to go to some other tire if I can't solve this issue.

superdiver

Jan 20, 2013
Alaska
Here's one of the best frames I can think of for motorizing....

and of course this frames a no brainer........

Yeppers.....just my two cents :D

What bike is that? Sorry for a noob question. I am just trying to figure all this out and where to start...

I have been looking for a "noob thread" that walked you thru the process without all the specifics. Somehting like, step one, decide on motor needs" with a few basic options and a link to threads of specifics (for those who want to researcht the crap out of stuff) then step two...on and on

kinda dumb it down for starters, and not overwhelm us with "how to build the clock", as opposed to "what time it is...

know what i mean?

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Here's some recent pics of The Pig II.
Pipe made a world of difference, waiting on a 36 tooth sprocket.

Got cheapo street tread for the back, been wearing very good for under $20 bucks. Innova is the brand if you run across them. Good tire for the money.