'The Beast' Scooterized

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Here are the latest pics of the finished product.
I'm going to change out the brake lever from a v-brake lever to a cantilever brake lever & switch back to left hand operation. The canti has less cable pull, but more leverage advantage.
The band brake feels better using a canti lever.
The best way to describe the sound of The Beast Scooter is that of a small twin engine propeller airplane. When both throttles are pulled, it pulls hard up to around 40+ mph & definitely sounds like a plane.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Now I'm in the process of figuring out how to mount some canti studs on the metal framework I already have near the fork to mount a v-brake setup. It looks fairly easy to mount 2 small pieces of angle iron and two canti studs bolted from the back.
-low-

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I use the entire brake bridge and posts cut off suspension forks to add V-brakes to stuff. Easy to grind off complete and easy to install with a welder.

Welding individual posts on each side works too, but is harder to install correctly.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I think you should go with disc brakes because it will be easier, the scooter disc brakes are amazing and cheap. The bike looks amazing Lowracer, before your threads I woulda never have thought of a AWD bicycle! :)

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Thanks 16V.
I trimmed down the floorboards today about an inch off each side.
Always easier to remove some material than add some.
-Low-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Well, the time has come.
I ordered some parts I was missing from Sick Bike Parts to build a homemade shift kit.
I will be converting the 'Scooterized Beast' back into a Motorized Bicycle.
I now have 3 gas powered scooters and no motorized bicycles?
I've always wanted to go shift kit & now with all the experience I've had putting chain drive onto these scooters, I think I'm ready. This will be rear frame mounted (no in-frame room)
Here's a list of stuff I'll be using:
1- Tanaka 47r engine
2- Pocketbike 5:1 gearbox
3- 12T sprocket (on gearbox)
4- 44T sprocket (driven from gearbox)
5- 24T SBP sprocket (driving the rear cassette)
6- 34-11T rear cassette
7- ACS crossfire freewheel
8- SBP threaded cranks
9- SBP 153mm BB
This should get my gear ratio between 26:1 - 9:1
I could also swap the 12T engine sprocket for a 10T should the need arise but I doubt it since its the flatlands here.
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I got the freewheel crankset all setup with chainrings & freewheel and the bottom bracket installed. Today my new 26" MTB front wheel came to replace the rim-to-rim front wheel I was using (was v-belt driven, see avatar pic). Now I just gotta find some time to spend in the garage to come up with a mid-ship mounting system (behind the seat and above the rear shock) to mount the pocketbike transmission and engine. I may flip the 12T drive sprocket to gain about an inch, keeping the engine less off to the right (crankarm clearance).
Guess I'll start a new thread once I get moving on it...
Stay Tuned
-Lowracer-