Spark plug wire

GoldenMotor.com

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
I cut it, strip the coating and then attach the actual wire to a new 1, then produce an artificil coating.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Carefully dig it out with a small pick or nail. it screws in. after you get all the old wire out, the new one will just screw in.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
But be very careful you don't damage the threaded post that protrudes up from the base of the CDI's wire receptical. It looks like a sheetmetal or wood screw and it must thread into the core (conductor) of the replacement wire.

Also you need to know that most wire you'll get from auto parts stores today has no metallic core. It is essentially a carbon impregnated thread. This is resistance wire or TVRS and you'll need to be diligent that the threaded post I mentioned above goes directly into the center of the core for a good electrical contact. 7mm wire seems to fit better than anything else.

Many of us suggest using a copper, or at least a metallic core wire as opposed to the resistance wire. Less resistance, more spark. It isn't as easy to find. Lawn mower or motorcycle shops are a good bet but some auto parts stores still carry it on bulk rolls and sell by the foot.

Tom

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
But be very careful you don't damage the threaded post that protrudes up from the base of the CDI's wire receptical. It looks like a sheetmetal or wood screw and it must thread into the core (conductor) of the replacement wire.

Also you need to know that most wire you'll get from auto parts stores today has no metallic core. It is essentially a carbon impregnated thread. This is resistance wire or TVRS and you'll need to be diligent that the threaded post I mentioned above goes directly into the center of the core for a good electrical contact. 7mm wire seems to fit better than anything else.

Many of us suggest using a copper, or at least a metallic core wire as opposed to the resistance wire. Less resistance, more spark. It isn't as easy to find. Lawn mower or motorcycle shops are a good bet but some auto parts stores still carry it on bulk rolls and sell by the foot.

Tom
I strip the wire back so I can bend the conductor over the sheath just a tiny bit, not enough to wrap over the outside of the wire. This helps give good contact with the resistance wire. I've never had any issues using any automotive wire. I use the free stuff I pick up when I go to the local pull a part junkyard. Never had a problem.

That said, I do agree copper core is better for the weak ignition on the ht motors. I would not use resistance wire on a high perfomance engine build.

whipaway

Mar 15, 2013
NY
Doesn't have to be "spark plug wire'.
You can search for high voltage wire/cable on Ebay, something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-VOLTAG...599?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b5b3be57

Too thick, but i hope you get the idea.

If you look at the stock supplied wire, it's just a couple of strands of wire shoved into a casing. If you don't have a circuitous path form CDI to spark plug, you could use a piece of Bowden cable with a metallic inner sheath in a pinch.

Last edited: