IZIP to GAS Scooter Project

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Got this nice IZIP 500 today off Craigs List for $25. Electronics didnt work for whatever reason. I plan on converting it to gas anyhow like the Razor e325 project just completed recently.
Here are some pics of the scooter when I 1st unloaded it from the trunk & after I stripped off the unnecessary items. Losing the batteries, motor, & motor mounting took off considerable dead weight. I'm still not sure if I'll be using a friction drive or driving the 32T ACS crossfire flanged freewheel (as seen in a few pics). The nice two upright rear frame members will make it easy to mount an engine back there. Both ends are threaded & can be cross-braced with a piece of angle steel or angle aluminum. From there an engine mount can be perfectly positioned.
The IZIP has a sturdy frame & handlebar with a real sweet folding handlebar mechanism.
Here are the pics
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Here are a few more pics after the electric appendectomy.
I rode it around in push mode & am very impressed with the handling & braking so far. I think the larger wheels (12.5" vs 10") will make it have better high speed handling than the Razor project I have been riding around on...Will post opinions after completion.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
d gizzle,
Thanks.
I love these scooters too, as do my kids.
I'm surfing now for either a new 35cc 4 stroke or maybe a used one. I'd even like another Tanaka if I could get a deal. I wish I bought more than just a couple of those 32cc Tanaka's for $89 shipped, back when they were getting blown out from Essex Technologies on Amazon awhile ago, but only have the one left on the Razor scooter.
I'm still contemplating either going friction or chain drive for this IZIP. If I go chain drive, I'll need to pickup another pocketbike 5:1 trans for $25 from Big Motor Sport (or a used one for half that) & a 12T sprocket on eBay for $22...I do like the reduced tire wear & freewheeling aspect of the chain drive, but I have all the parts now to do another friction & wont need to buy anything but the engine....
Any suggestions?
-Lowracer-

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I'm in the middle of moving so my project is on hold,but maybe you could get one of the motors you had on that front rack chain drive? Put it 'in-frame,couple pillow blocks,jackshaft,some freewheels? That's about what I'm doing,except I'm adding pedals and a aluminum scooter deck.

And can the friction drive be modified to run chain? I know nothing about friction drive but maybe weld a sprocket to the drive roller? If that would work,grind the drive roller smooth and use the sprocket from a kiddie coaster brake?

Maybe?

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I could also remove the whole DAX friction drive channel with engine from one of my two motorized bicycles & get this scooter operational quickly, but at the loss of a functional motorized bicycle. Wonder how this scooter would go after bolting the Tanaka 47r to it with a 1" drive roller? Probably accelerate like a bat out of you know where!!!
But seriously, I dont want to rip the drivetrain off my motorized bicycle. I plan on using the motorized bicycles alot soon once the weather warms up enough here. I log all the business related miles I put on the motorized bicycles & get my tax deduction.
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
d gizzle,
The friction shaft could be used to mount a sprocket but the gearing would be way too tall without going thru a jackshaft. I am not a big fan of those itsy bitsy pocketbike sprockets (6 tooth) with the weak #25 chains. I think they wear out faster. I ride fixed gear & singlespeed road bikes & never had a problem with 410 chain. Friction is nice & simple & works great except when the tire gets wet. On the scooter since there are no pedals, if it rains, it would be challenging to get home under engine power alone (light throttle).
-Lowracer-

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Umm.....cut off an entire bottom bracket shell from a bicycle,sans pedals, for a jackshaft? Bolted on with muffler clamps?

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Ok,
I just ordered this engine for $55 + $25 shipping. Seems to run well & hopefully will give this scooter a nice quiet ride up to 23 mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muq_UOo1WmI
Its a Huasheng 31cc 4 stroke.
Only problem is I gotta keep a seperate gas can for non-premix :(
I'm bidding on a 5:1 pocketbike transmission & hopefully will get that for $12.50
Then I'll only need the 12T sprocket for $21.99 & I'm done.
That will tie up $140 total for another sweet riding solid scooter.
I installed a front Tektro caliper brake (#984) I had laying around which added some extra stopping power (decent) to the already well-functioning rear band brake.
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16v,
If this one turns out well & my 12 yr old son claims ownership of it (as my daughter claimed the Razor E325 conversion), then I'll need to build another for myself to ride with them (unless I just ride 1 of the 2 motorized bicycles). I still think the BMX idea is a winner & would provide a lighter weight, great handling, triangulated platform.
Finding these disfunctional electric scooters on Craigs List has been fairly easy & cheap ($25 & under). most folks look to dispose of them once the SLA batteries are dead or something electronic goes.
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
d gizzle,
Yeah these PB 5:1 transmissions are 78mm clutch compatible.
I got an email from the seller of that transmission today saying the bearings are rusted & asked if I still want it? I took the refund option.
I just ordered a new one from Big Motor Sport for $25 shipped (comes with a #25 sprocket that I'll sell on eBay).
I found someone local who wanted the electric 500w motor, controller & battery pack that I removed from this scooter & sold them all for $25, so this scooter was free.
I installed a front brake, lever & cable & took a few pics of it along with the rear frame area that will be the spot I mount the transmission. Both rear frame ends are threaded so bolting a piece of angle aluminum across will be simple. I'll bolt another angle aluminum piece to the transmission (engine mount) & brace it down to either the seatpost mount or existing welded on frame tabs.
-lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I was the sole bidder on the 410 12T sprocket for $21.59 (shipping included).
Now I have all the pieces of the puzzle I needed to purchase to get this put together as a chain drive (like the Razor e325 scooter converted to gas).
I might look for a wider billet aluminum deck (or wood) for a wider floor board & stick a full coverage piece of skateboard grip tape on it.
Once I receive the engine, transmission, & sprocket I'll get it put together & post lots of pics...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Here's the cheapest(plus free shipping!) aluminum deck,new, that I've seen for gas scooters. They also have one for the electric version for $43. I bought the black gas version and it is great. Feels a little thin,but I'm not standing on it either.