Heavy guage wire

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Let me throw in one more thing. The type of covering on your wire and the type of metal is also important. Use stranded copper wiring with a good quality insulation over it. You want either a thick rubber like covering or a Teflon covering. The Teflon covering is the better of the two, but is more costly. If it is ran near a hot part of the engine it need to be able to with stand high heat or the insulation could melt off to easily.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I did the same thing now that it's to cold to ride.I rewired my engine with a slight bigger wire and solder them.I kinda thought it made it start easier and made it a little smoother running.I don't know if will make it faster tho.I just think the wire I used is better made and not china cheap stuff.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
@wan...exactly the point when I made this thread...during maintenance I noticed only 2 strands of wire were actually soldered to the tab...i had some thicker wire laying around and resoldered then in place...easier starts, and whether or not the public believes it or not, I personally gained a 6mph increase in top speed...really I'm trying to help noobs see this is a minor upgrade that is super easy to accomplish...

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I think the solder joint on the mag is maybe some of the problem,like you said a couple wires solder there.I also done the black wire too.She fires right up a lot better.I can't tell you if the bigger wire is the part that help, but it most likely don't hurt it forsure.I will always from now change them first thing I do on a new kit.

Last edited:

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
i did this just a few weeks ago myself.
not for the reason of going faster, but the reaason of ... magneto blew up and swapped in old one.. when running wires thru the casing, wires came off... then i took note of how horrible the wires were.

cant say that i gained speed for sure(as i havent been tested.. lol ) but it does SEEM faster.
and the same as wicked, i dare not crack the CDI unit :s ... i did however put new connectors on it.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
i did this just a few weeks ago myself.
not for the reason of going faster, but the reaason of ... magneto blew up and swapped in old one.. when running wires thru the casing, wires came off... then i took note of how horrible the wires were.

cant say that i gained speed for sure(as i havent been tested.. lol ) but it does SEEM faster.
and the same as wicked, i dare not crack the CDI unit :s ... i did however put new connectors on it.
The stock CDI's are not meant to be opened up, if you want a CDI you know will work 100%, then build the one in the link below.