my first trike build.

GoldenMotor.com

knuckle bump

Jan 19, 2013
Missouri
Hello, My first trike build is a old Sears Columbia 3spd, With a 49cc engine from a mini chopper I got from a buddy. I have used bicycle parts for most of this build. The trike rides real nice with a top speed of about 30 mph. How ever the take off needs some help along with pulling hills. The 3spd hub is a Shimano 3cc that came on the trike. It has a limited slip diff, with 24" rear wheels. I would like to put 20" wheels on the rear, the trouble is the rear axle is 3/4" O.D. with no key way, my wheels slide on the axle and a roll pin is that turns the wheels. The wheels are held in place with a 3/8 bolt and washer screwed in the
end of the axle. The wheel hub is 4 1/2 " from the roll pin to the washer. Any one got any ideas on how I can do this at little cost. Keep in mind that I have never respoked a wheel in my life, and my funds are close to nuthing, I will be thankful for any help..... k.b

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hopefully someone will have a good answer for you. In the mean time I can at least welcome you to the forum. Post photos when you can (after three posts, I think it is).
SB

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Welcome to the forum.

I'm wondering why you want to reduce the size of the rear wheels. If you want to lower the trike's gearing it would be a lot easier and cheaper to change the sprocket size.
I built my first trike with 20 inch wheels and found the smaller wheels to be not so good on country roads. My present trike has 26 inch wheels and it rides much better on the larger diameter wheels.

:crash:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome to the forum.

I'm wondering why you want to reduce the size of the rear wheels. If you want to lower the trike's gearing it would be a lot easier and cheaper to change the sprocket size.
I built my first trike with 20 inch wheels and found the smaller wheels to be not so good on country roads. My present trike has 26 inch wheels and it rides much better on the larger diameter wheels.

:crash:
I agree. It would be much easier to change the sprokets. You could even change the three speed hub for a 7 speed cluster ( might have to put a thin sproket on front with it ). Do some snooping on the fourm under trike and recumbents. I have one of each trike ( non motorized yet ) and the 24" is wider and more stable...............Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello knuckle bump,
Welcome to the forum. I'd have to put my vote to changing your sprocket. Far cheaper and easier as well.

If you can get three posts in, as was mentioned, you can post photo's which would make it easier to see what you have done and someone can offer advice based on what they see.

Steve.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Check out www.atomiczombie.com they have a tutorial on wheel lacing and no lathe trike hubs. Lots of other stuff to help with the trike set up especially gearing and such mostly from salvaged bike parts.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Here is a site for the flanged bearings. They were the best price I could find for the same bearings. I bought the standard flanged bearing, 1-3/8 x 5/8 axle @ $6.95 for 4. The sealed 1-3/8 x 5/8 sealed bearing with snap ring is $7.95 for 4. He has other axle sizes as well.
They are made in Taiwan, not China and seem to be top quality but I haven't used them yet.

You can get them at www.smartkartparts.com The seller went out of his way to help and as you can see in the photos below the packaging and shipping were first rate. Lots of kart parts as well as some lawn mower parts and lots of carbs for different motors.

Just click on the photo to see the rest.

Steve.

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
well i also have a solution thats more expensive as its the set up im using. I have a trike rearend im building now.
One thing to keep in mind i have a local old time bearing shop with everything i need and a very knowlagable owner.
first i bought a trike hub from uschoppers.com the hub is set for use on 15mm axles. so i found out that the bearing is 1 3/8 od so i swapped out the bearing for 1 3/8 od and 3/4 id. now that hub i split to use as the driver and welded a 3/4 keyed axle stop to it to fix it to the hub by bolting it to the wheel. i might be aslo running my disk brake off this adaptor
I next bougt a 3/4 keyed axle 36" and wit trim when everything is finialized. I also went back to us choppers and ordered a set of wheels with the same hubs. Im running 20" * 4" wide dual (it is a trike after all).

so now i have swapped out the bearing in the rearend (4) in the hubs (4) in the spare hub i made the adaptor out of(2) for a total of 10 @ $6 each ($60)
3/4 axle and keyed stops(6) about another $60.
complete rims/tubes/tires built ready to go with shipping $380

and now you still have to drive the read end and your set up is different from mine as i am running a 5 speed sturmny archer hub but ive adapted to #40 chaining so gear swaps are easy
.trlrl.
Now my next hurdle is to drive from the motor which i might split my axle and drive one tire via motor and the other via peddle power but i have ideas on how to still tie it in thru the hub but i want to eliminate that weak bicycle chain and up grade to #35 chaining.

options options options $$$$$$$$$ and some trial and hopefully not a lot of errors. Lots of thinking it thru lol:-||