Motorized Electric Scooter Converted To Gas

GoldenMotor.com

Slow RIde

Aug 18, 2012
The U.S.A.
Just in from the garage... Mounted the #35 sprocket to the #25 sprocket and spun it on the axle and it is very very close to being centered

Now for the problem.... The 99cc is way to honking big for the scooter! When I align the clutch sprocket with the rear wheel sprocket, the engine is about 40 to 50% off the frame to the right side! Would be extremely hard to balance it, let alone go around turns with the weight hanging off like that

Need a small engine with a tranny ASAP!!!

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Slowride,
You could jackshaft it inexpensively with stuff on eBay (pillow block bearings and a shaft).
Please start a build thread for your project & post pics there.
Thanks
-Low-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I've been checking out a cool front wheel drive recumbent design called www.Cruzbike.com
It uses a moving bottom bracket (moves in conjunction with the fork) & they have sparked a new idea for this stand up gas powered Razor scooter I built.
How about adding a recumbent seat, then front wheel pedal drive for the front wheel?
Keeping the gas engine for the rear wheel (both on freewheels). This would make a lowracer with two independent power sources sitting about 6" off the ground.
I drew a pic.
A donor bike could be cut to salvage just the chainstays, seat tube & bottom bracket (all one piece). Could also use of of them Hugh Jass soft saddles I bought as the seat bottom & then come up with a backrest (got an old Honda motorcycle passenger seat laying around somewhere)...
-Low-

Attachments

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Until i saw the picture,this was starting to sound like what im doing to an old kick scooter. Lets see if i can post pics from this phone. 5150 is the name of thread.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Just for the heck of it, I took it for a test drive to see how the scooter would handle with me sitting on the floorboard with my legs straight out beyond the front wheel. I had to steer and operate the gas/brake levers with my arms straight up high on the handlebars.
Lets just say it was squirrely and possibly not a good platform to add a front pedal drive unit to.
I think the larger wheel scooter would perform better sitting a bit higher up.
-Lowracer-