Flower nut rubbing cover

GoldenMotor.com

cimel

Aug 12, 2011
idaho
Just got my build done rode it and when i disengage the clutch the flower nut rubes the cover. Clutch seems to be working well. The motor is a stinger 80cc. Any ideas?

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Sounds like ya might have left the gasket off last time you adjusted the clutch. It really is that close, just a thin gasket worth of space will make a difference. I know cause I've done just that before. You can also try adjusting yer clutch IN just a tad. Don't forget to adjust the clutch cable afterwards.
fatdaddy

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Sounds like ya might have left the gasket off last time you adjusted the clutch. It really is that close, just a thin gasket worth of space will make a difference. I know cause I've done just that before. You can also try adjusting yer clutch IN just a tad. Don't forget to adjust the clutch cable afterwards.
fatdaddy
In addition to the above, if the nut that holds the drive sprocket on is loose the entire clutch assembly can slip toward the gear side (the entire clutch can actually be removed through the gear side when this nut and sprocket is removed). I had this happen to me once and it did rub on the gear side cover. I had tightened that nut (that holds on the sprocket) with the spark plug tool that came with the kit, but it wasn't tight enough... I went to the hardware store and bought a real socket that was the same size as the plug tool, when I tightened with the socket the nut went quite a few turns further and the entire clutch shaft pulled toward the chain side and fully seated, finally! After doing this my rubbing stopped....

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
In addition to the above, if the nut that holds the drive sprocket on is loose the entire clutch assembly can slip toward the gear side (the entire clutch can actually be removed through the gear side when this nut and sprocket is removed). I had this happen to me once and it did rub on the gear side cover. I had tightened that nut (that holds on the sprocket) with the spark plug tool that came with the kit, but it wasn't tight enough... I went to the hardware store and bought a real socket that was the same size as the plug tool, when I tightened with the socket the nut went quite a few turns further and the entire clutch shaft pulled toward the chain side and fully seated, finally! After doing this my rubbing stopped....
Well I'll be a red headed step child. I guess an old dog CAN learn new tricks. I've never had that happen to me so I woulda never thunk, But yer right. Check the nut.
fatdaddy.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
He said flower nut.

I'm an expert on flower nuts.

Have tried adjusting the flower nut? If you have and there wasn't any improvement, I would pull the clutch gear off the shaft, and reinstall it. The clutch gear it located on the transmission shaft by a key. It's a common problem for the factory to bind the key in the keyway when they install the clutch gear. If this happens it can prevent the gear from sliding all the way down on the shaft.

You'll need a special tool gear puller made for china girls to accomplish this task. All of the forum venders sell them for about $4, and some of the motor kits include them with the kit.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
He said flower nut.

I'm an expert on flower nuts.

Have tried adjusting the flower nut? If you have and there wasn't any improvement, I would pull the clutch gear off the shaft, and reinstall it. The clutch gear it located on the transmission shaft by a key. It's a common problem for the factory to bind the key in the keyway when they install the clutch gear. If this happens it can prevent the gear from sliding all the way down on the shaft.

You'll need a special tool gear puller made for china girls to accomplish this task. All of the forum venders sell them for about $4, and some of the motor kits include them with the kit.
Yeah, could be come to think of it. But the flower nut level isn't dictated by the clutch. The nut screws on to an independent fitting that the clutch assembly only fits over. Unless he's only catching the flower nut by just a thread or two this probably isn't his problem.
fatdaddy.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
i think hes saying the shaft is backing out of the motor
I thought he might be saying that but wasn't sure. So instead of tearing it all apart, just check it by tapping it back and forth, one side then the other (with a block of wood of course) to see if it moves. If it's loose it WILL move. If it moves THEN tear it all apart.
fatdaddy.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
i don't really think the shaft could shift over enough to allow the flower nut to rub the cover, without the drive sprocket grinding on the case on the other side.

I guess it's possible that the clutch cable may be adjusted to tight on the clutch arm.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
i don't really think the shaft could shift over enough to allow the flower nut to rub the cover, without the drive sprocket grinding on the case on the other side.

I guess it's possible that the clutch cable may be adjusted to tight on the clutch arm.
Yeah, I agree. But even to tight on the cable would only make his clutch slip.
fatdaddy.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yeah, I agree. But even to tight on the cable would only make his clutch slip.
fatdaddy.
You could still adjust the flower nut to stop the clutch from slipping, but it would end up closer to the cover, because of the tight adjustment on the clutch arm. Then when you pull in the clutch it might touch the cover.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
My guess is... it is really the three studs on the clutch plate that are rubbing and not the flower nut, they stick out further and would contact the gear side cover plate first, at least that was my experience. The entire clutch shaft did indeed move over far enough for these 3 studs to rub on the gear side cover in the incident I describe above...

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
i think hes saying the shaft is backing out of the motor
Just sitting here thinking about how the bottom end is put together. The way the bearings press tight on the shaft and set in the cases, Unless the bearings went way bad, or the case busted out, theres no way for the shaft to move, AT ALL. I guess the factory could have left out the thin spacers used between the bearings and cases, but probably not.
If the bike is running fine otherwise, I would suggest trying a new or thicker gasket on the outer case. It usually is only THAT little of a difference. I've put them together without the gasket before and the flower nut rubs almost every time.
fatdaddy.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Just sitting here thinking about how the bottom end is put together. The way the bearings press tight on the shaft and set in the cases, Unless the bearings went way bad, or the case busted out, theres no way for the shaft to move, AT ALL. I guess the factory could have left out the thin spacers used between the bearings and cases, but probably not.
If the bike is running fine otherwise, I would suggest trying a new or thicker gasket on the outer case. It usually is only THAT little of a difference. I've put them together without the gasket before and the flower nut rubs almost every time.
fatdaddy.
If you remove the gear side cover, and remove the drive sprocket and woodruff key, you can tap the entire clutch shaft out the gear side of the motor... It will come out in 1 piece, the bearing on the sprocket side will stay in the case and the bearing under the clutch plate will come out with the clutch shaft....

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
If you remove the gear side cover, and remove the drive sprocket and woodruff key, you can tap the entire clutch shaft out the gear side of the motor... It will come out in 1 piece, the bearing on the sprocket side will stay in the case and the bearing under the clutch plate will come out with the clutch shaft....
Dang, Yer right. I had to go look at an old case in my shop, and the bearing does come out from that direction. Seems like a bad design to me, but thats how it is. So I guess if the other side of it is not holding it all the way tight it could be out too far, letting the flower nut rub. Looks like what keeps it from doing that is the drive sprocket and nut, and thats all. If thats loose or not pulled up tight then it could cause problems.
fatdaddy.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Dang, Yer right. I had to go look at an old case in my shop, and the bearing does come out from that direction. Seems like a bad design to me, but thats how it is. So I guess if the other side of it is not holding it all the way tight it could be out too far, letting the flower nut rub. Looks like what keeps it from doing that is the drive sprocket and nut, and thats all. If thats loose or not pulled up tight then it could cause problems.
fatdaddy.
Yes if your drive sprocket is not seated all the way down correctly on the shaft along with its woodruff key, you will have too much slack and the shaft will definitely walk itself out toward the clutch cover resulting in some serious rubbing. Usually the clutch pegs will rub first but maybe it`s possible for the flower nut to rub also but seems unlickley since the pegs are considerably longer than the nut .
Hope this helps.