Rode in the rain, Now engine revs higher than usual?

GoldenMotor.com

Alex96

Jul 12, 2012
Hamilton, NJ
Well, I went out last week riding in the rain through puddles and got the bike pretty wet. After a few hours I got back, and since it was muddy in a few spots, I got a rag and cleaned the bike. In the process, I got the magneto somehow wet and It wouldn't want to start. Next day, besides a sputter or two and one short time when it ran, it just wouldn't start. Took the head off, plug is wet with oil, wiped it off, still nothing. Open the magneto case and there's a puddle of water soaking the coil. Check resistance, blue wire is open. Ordered a new coil and got it wired in yesterday. Today, I start the bike (Which takes a little longer than usual) and let it idle. Here's where it starts acting odd. It now revs higher than before. Another thing odd, before I could set it to full choke while idleing, give it throttle, and it would sputter out and die. Now it just revs higher. Checked it air filter and its soaked with gas. wipe it off and the problem persists. No head gasket leaks (I took it off while troubleshooting), and I tightened the bolts on the intake and everything was tight.

I'm stumped.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
sounds like a gasket leaking somewhere if it's reving and will run with the choke full on. crank case seam or cylinder base gasket. could be simple some where on the intake
last could be the head gasket if you didn't use a torque wrench.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What Norm said, and, take a close look at your carburetor to intake manifold area as well as the intake manifold where it attaches to the cylinder. Both areas are prone to leak excess air into the engine causing the symptoms you're having. The kit supplied intake gaskets are notorious for early failure and the carburetor needs to be sealed to the intake manifold.

Tom

Alex96

Jul 12, 2012
Hamilton, NJ
Well today I took the intake pipe off, added some gasket seal and put it back together. There's not much of a change. I also checked the exhaust and it's tight too. The choke oddity is still there. I made sure it's moving properly and it is. Also cleaned the gas off the air filter (Bottom was wet with fuel).

I'm not sure whether it's running lean or rich, but I noticed when riding, going at less than 15 mph or so, giving it WOT will make it seem to bog down, still providing power, then as speed increases it begins to sound more normal. And when riding in general it sounds fine.

I'll put some gasket seal around the carb side of the intake next.

Last edited: