Registering a Morini Motorized Bicycle in CA

GoldenMotor.com

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Anybody have their Morini "motor-driven cycle" registered in CA?

Since Morini's have more than 2 gross brake horsepower and go faster than 35 mph. That's 2 boxes on the motorized bicycle registration application that get checked NO!!!

How would you register it to REALLY be legal?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Re: Registering a Morini MB in CA

Scotty, do ya think anyone is gonna check your horsepower on a dyno and radar your top speed? Just get a plate for a motorized bicycle and that is that. It's only 50cc. You'll be fine bro......it is a motorized bike with pedals, isn't it?

Anybody have their Morini "motor-driven cycle" registered in CA?

Since Morini's have more than 2 gross brake horsepower and go faster than 35 mph. That's 2 boxes on the motorized bicycle registration application that get checked NO!!!

How would you register it to REALLY be legal?

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA

Well, yes, by our standards it's a motorized bike. But by DMV standards it's a motor-driven cycle and the "Boy Scout" in me makes it VERY difficult to check 2 yes boxes on the registration when the answer is no...lol.

Can I register it in your name Scotto-...laff

Knock on wood, I've yet to be stopped on any of my bikes. Have driven through DUI checkpoints, cops at the beachs just turn and look the other way, etc, etc.

But, the Morini is so much louder, faster and obviously bigger (almost as big as your Predator) than the China girl engines. Considering my "Need For Speed" I feel like more of a target for the day when that one cop, who's having a bad day and feels the need to F*CK up someone elses day too happens along.

P.S. Scotto-: I know it's only been a couple weeks since the last ride but I sent Hawaii a PM a couple of days ago asking if he's got another ride in mind soon but haven't heard back from him. Have a couple other people who "say" they're interested in joining too.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I thought about this and lucky me I have never been pulled over. I was asked by an officer once and I quickly showed him the top of the engine.

One of the key points if ever stopped is to point out the cylinder stud arrangement to a officer as I think this speaks for itself.. Looking right at the cylinder head one can point how the head plate is bolted on.

Then it is obvious how small the piston really is because the head studs are very narrow proving just how small the piston is...... That piston looks very tiny in that light of thinking as there is no way to install the cylinder/head over a bigger piston.. studs would get in the way every time.

Plain Pure physics IMHO approach to pointing it out :)

Once they have looked I think they will begin realize the whole motor consist of nicely engineered cooling fins.;)

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA

register it as a motorized bicycle and tell the cops you bought it from that san diego company that saturates craigslist with ads claiming they're "100% street legal..." ;)
That's good idea Bairco! You think it'd work with this bike?

Morini-Build.jpg
_________________________​

Sure......as long as you park it in my garage :D

Do you want Hawaii's number?

dnut
Na, I'll just wait for a special invite from you like last time :D

_________________________​

Good idea from you too Goat Herder! But like you said, "Going 70 mph" (or in my case 45+ mph) "that is another story".

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca

scotty. thats a s5t about 4 hp with a factory chamber. so with out the factory exhaust i'd say your closer to 3 hp maybe 21/2 and thats the truth. put a lawn mower muffler on the end and you will be boy scout 2hp honest and be able to sleep at night. oh and don't forget to throw away those playboy's under your bed. and dont think HT's are slow i got passed by most of them at the race. dennis

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA

you can always take it off to feel like a outlaw bro. dennis
Yes, quite a conundrum I find myself in. LOVE to ride like an outlaw, but hesitate like a "Boy Scout" when putting check marks in boxes on a Registration Application when I know it's a lie...

So...Thank you to all my friends.
Your thoughtful input has helped me make the decision to just go ahead and register it as a motorized bicycle.
I salute you!

Last edited:

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA

hitch a ride with scotto to the races. you'll have a blast. dennis
Ya know, I would never thought of such a thing since I drive a cargo van and I'm usually the one giving rides. Just sent him a PM. Maybe he can squeeze me in somewhere between his wife and his bike...lol