Motor aggressively yanked off of bike?

GoldenMotor.com

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
I installed my new motor on my bike and rode down a hill to release the clutch to get it gonig and when I did: The motor was yanked to the side of the drive chain, the cdi cord split, my new #41 chain split and another car ran over my fuel filter. I had gone with a standard front mount but a new rear mount design that only involves one stud but I thought was still very secure, I did this because the standard rear mount would poke the chain a lot. So my question is, is there something I need to do to the sprocket like grease it or something? Or did this happen because of my mounting technique? If so, how can I make it so the rear stud doesn't touch the chain? (Again, the bolt that goes on that stud pokes out and tocuhes the chain)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It would help a lot if you'd post a photo or two of your mounting technique. Relying on one fastener for the rear mount is obviously what caused the failure. What do you mean by the front mount is "standard"?

If installed correctly there should be no interference between the chain and the engine mount fasteners.
Post a photo of your bike, especially the mounts and we'll be able to tell you more.

It also sounds like you have chain alignment issues. Proper alignment/tension is critical as well as the tensioner alignment and attachment to the bike frame.

Tom

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
It would help a lot if you'd post a photo or two of your mounting technique. Relying on one fastener for the rear mount is obviously what caused the failure. What do you mean by the front mount is "standard"?

If installed correctly there should be no interference between the chain and the engine mount fasteners.
Post a photo of your bike, especially the mounts and we'll be able to tell you more.

It also sounds like you have chain alignment issues. Proper alignment/tension is critical as well as the tensioner alignment and attachment to the bike frame.

Tom
I would take pictures but because everything was literally destroyed I can't really do it. When my new hardware kit comes in I will try again but show you guys first. What I mean by standard front mount is the universal front mount piece for oversized tubes. And everything was installed right, it was just that the chain sprocket is just too close to the rear mount. I got it that way. I am getting a new chain today and will show you what I mean when I say the rear mount is too close.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I would take pictures but because everything was literally destroyed I can't really do it. When my new hardware kit comes in I will try again but show you guys first. What I mean by standard front mount is the universal front mount piece for oversized tubes. And everything was installed right, it was just that the chain sprocket is just too close to the rear mount. I got it that way. I am getting a new chain today and will show you what I mean when I say the rear mount is too close.
The sprocket is in the same place on every motor, none of us have rubbing on the rear mount, so your installation must be improper. Pictures would have been worth 1,000 words, without seeing I would have to guess you have an issue with the rag joint/rear sprocket assembly. Either you didn't put the rubber pieces in the right places, or perhaps you need the rear sprocket to dish outward but installed it dished inward? Every bike is different, so you need to assess how things go together on your bike and make adjustments so things like chain alignment are proper. Even if you change your mount so the chain doesn't rub (the way it was) you will eventually be fixing the chain alignment because it will cause you other issues in the long run....

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
The sprocket is in the same place on every motor, none of us have rubbing on the rear mount, so your installation must be improper. Pictures would have been worth 1,000 words, without seeing I would have to guess you have an issue with the rag joint/rear sprocket assembly. Either you didn't put the rubber pieces in the right places, or perhaps you need the rear sprocket to dish outward but installed it dished inward? Every bike is different, so you need to assess how things go together on your bike and make adjustments so things like chain alignment are proper. Even if you change your mount so the chain doesn't rub (the way it was) you will eventually be fixing the chain alignment because it will cause you other issues in the long run....
I bought the whole motor brand new from the company. The motor is ready to run. I will take pictures when I get my hardware kit on Tuesday.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Ok the picture I'm using isn't my bike but it is a typical install. There is a red arrow pointing at one of the rear motor mount studs, is this what you are talking about?

If this is the case then I am not sure how the chain would come in contact with it. Which kit did you get, maybe this is a new style mount that isn't common yet?

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The suspense is unbearable....I can't wait to see what happens next!

Are we going to see a whole new kit we didn't know about?
Maybe a 45 degree mounting technique?

Pins and needles!!!!

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
Ok the picture I'm using isn't my bike but it is a typical install. There is a red arrow pointing at one of the rear motor mount studs, is this what you are talking about?

If this is the case then I am not sure how the chain would come in contact with it. Which kit did you get, maybe this is a new style mount that isn't common yet?
Yes, that studs touches the chain. On that picture, it looks like the chain is a lot higher, my chain goes downward to the sprocket. Maybe I should lower the front engine mount and have it go upward?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
So back on topic, I'm betting he installed the chain tensioner the way that it is pictured in some manuals, with the tensioner clamped around the seat tube, and the wheel pushing down on the top of the chain. If he did that, and had the wheel twisted in too far, that would explain the chain rubbing on the motor mount.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
But are guys sure that I don't need to grease the sprocket or something? It was a mounting issue?
Did you only use one stud/bolt on the rear mount to hold it to the bike? If so that was your failure of way the engine got ripped off the frame crashing it to the ground. Also where did you mount the chain tensioner?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Is difficult in text only Stuck. Would post pics before a "redo"

Is all about helping you and keeping you safe. The directions can be very confusing and reading is not good enough some times.

Just my thinking, it is prolly some thing that is an easy fix. Just difficult with out "seeing" it sort of deal.

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
Is difficult in text only Stuck. Would post pics before a "redo"

Is all about helping you and keeping you safe. The directions can be very confusing and reading is not good enough some times.

Just my thinking, it is prolly some thing that is an easy fix. Just difficult with out "seeing" it sort of deal.
Your right, sorry Dan

I GREATLY appreciate all the community support, thanks a lot guys. My hardware store had 10ft of #41 chain, I only needed 5ft so I bought it online so it will be here sometime this week. But I got a picture of the setup to hopefully give you guys an idea.

So, is this too close to the sprocket or what?:

Last edited: