Electric 2

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
This is a 29" Dawes single speed mountain bike. It's hanging from the same hooks the Revive was on a while back. I was going to put the Robin 2 stroke on it, but I ain't building any more gas bikes.

This is getting the Magic Pie 3 28" wheel kit and that nice 48V, 20 AH battery in the sweet stainless steel case.

Yeah Baby!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i had to stand on my head to look at it lol. however that is gonna be one sweet ride. electrified baby

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That's what I'm thinking. The Revive is great, but it'a a little squirreley with the high seat and the 20" wheels. 20 is plenty fast enough for this bike.

Never had a 29, looking forward to it. Should be a smooth stable ride. I have never ridden this bike. I'm going to take it down this weekend and assemble it and go for a pedal ride. This is also the first bike I've owned that has disk brakes.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
should get a lot more speed with the big wheels or you can not give it so much throttle and increase your range big time. put fenders on mine to day. looks good :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Dawes Bullseye

Pulled it down from the hooks, installed pedals & brakes, pumped up the tires and took it for a spin. I like it, nice bike. Pedals easy, rolls smooth and handles great. Very stable - :)

I have a nice Geyes leather cruiser saddle on it and my butt likes it. The handlebar is an aftermarket aluminum cruiser bar. I'm going to cut a couple inches off the handlebar and order up some shorter crank arms. This thing is goona look great with the MP3. Got the twist grip ordered up for this one too instead of that thumb unit. With the 20 AH battery I should have good speed and range as well as a smooth and stable ride.

The 29x2 Serfas Drifter on the rear is moving to the front when the Pie arrives. The Pie is getting a Shwalbe Big Apple 28x2.35, also on order.

EBike 2 is on the way!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
that is gonna be one nice electric bicycle. the bigger tires are gonna give you a higher top end. i like it!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'll bet your Giant Revive will still win the comfy comp - but this one will w/o a doubt be a touch more stable in the tight twisties!

I figure the 20" Revive is obv slower w/more torque than the 29" ...but it'll be great to know if the 'Pie has the grunt to take advantage of the 29" over say Paul's & my 26" electric bikes? Better have that GPS handy - I for one will be waitin' for that lil bit of info fosho (as it may have an affect on the taddy's future lol) :D

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I love the Revive, it looks good, runs good, is easy to mount/dismount and appears to have excellent range. The Dawes was getting a rack mount gas engine. Until I fell in love with electric that is - :)

Pauls' report on the 3 was favorable, it does seem to have better performance than the 2. I thought of getting another Ping, It would have been smaller/lighter, but it doesn't have any protection. One spill and your $600 battery could be toast. The GM kit batteries have the extruded alum case, but are only 10 AH.

Then I saw this on the GM site;

And that looks perfect. Big but not too big. Stainless steel case. Shouldn't look too big over those big wheels - :) And 20 AH to handle the increased current draw of higher speed.

This is going to be fun. Should go as fast as I ever want to go on a bike, be stable and have good range. Just not as easy to mount / dismount. The Gyes saddle is more comfy than the revive saddle. If you've never tried leather you should - :) I like the single speed thing too. No shifters, no deraileurs, just 2 brakes and a twist grip.

So far I have the Schwalbe and a 18 tooth BMX freewheel, the motor and battery should arrive soon.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
And it all here. MP3 is way better than MP2. Better finish, better axle, fan cooled, nice wires and the wheel was perfectly true. Just beatiful.

Battery is here also. High amp discharge connector, charge connector with cover, nice stainless steel case. Beautiful

And I worked on the bike too. Installed the drifter on the front, and the big apple on the rear. Try as I could, I could not mount the tire on the pie.

That's because I bought the wrong pie. I ordered and got the 28 inch pie. That fits just one size of tire 28x1.5. More properly known as ISO 37 (or 38) x 635. Not 622 like all the 700C and 29" wheels use. Damn I feel dumb.

Ordered up another MP3 of the correct 700C dimensions.

The good news is the bike just rolls so nice. I thought about mounting the pie on my existing wheels, but I would have needed new spokes. Just going to sell it, it's just so nice and true. My loss your gain.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i would probably find a bike it fits and sell to someone that see's yours. most that see one want one. looking forward to when you got it all done and ready for the road. should be a great e-bike

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, it would have been, but the rear spacing is a max of 124mm, not close enough to the 135 that the pie needs. I was hoping the 8 speed version would be 132 as I have seen that dimension on Shimano hubs and I could bend 3mm. Not going to try bending 11mm.

I rode the Revive into the local bike shop and the guy loved it. I told him my tale of woe re the 28 inch wheel and he offered to lace the hub to a nice wheel, so I deceided to do it. The hoop is a nice heavy double wall design and he can get custom spokes made if needed. The width is 24 mm too, so it will be better for the big apple tire.

Now I'm really jazzed - :)

Don't think I'm going to persue electric 3, but you never know.

But electric 2 is going to be a blast with easy rolling 29" wheels, MP3, disk brakes and a fat 20 AH battery.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
them 29" wheels are going to fly mike. i cannot wait to here the performance. might have to help it a little up the hills but what the heck. should be a fun ride

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
Looking great Paul!

[[Hey, I bet you get the exact pie motor in 700cc wheel. Those guys over in China break stuff out into a bunch of categories when they really only have 1 or 2 versions.

If you're open to a new learing experience, just use the 700cc wheel hoop that came with your bike if 36holes or order a 36hole 700cc hoop; run your numbers thru an online spoke calculator, and order spokes in the size you need. Niffty if you can buy a hoop, or find yours online with the ERD listed.
http://http://www.ebikes.ca/SpokeCalc.shtml
http://http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html ]]

OK, you've got a solution on the wheelbuilding.

Maybe someone knows if the Pie has the same diameter as a 9Cont, EZ, or Crystalyte?
Kinda rewarding to build your own and it'll turn out straighter and truer.

What's this about a fan in a stock hub motor? Could you please post a close up foto of the fan in the future?

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I'm Mike.

The pie is over at the bike shop and they are going to do it. Don't want to learn wheel lacing. Yes, all the hubs are the same, just the wheels change. The wheel is nice, I think it weighs almost a kilogram. The stock pie wheel is 18mm wide, 24 will be much better for the big apple - :)

You can see the "fan" at the golden motor site. They just slotted a cover on the hub.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
My spokes are on the way. Got (40) 14g Sapim SS 165mm custom spokes made. Gotta start assembling the batt rack this weekend. Ain't looking forward to it either, it's supposed to be a hundred degrees out here.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
cool i cannot wait to here how it rides mike. bet you are getting real excited. i work on mine in the condo where it is air conditioned lol. only gets 90 here which is warm but nothing like 100

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Getting closer.

Battery bracket almost done. Battery is going to be about a half inch lower, is sitting on the nuts right now. After countersinking the screws it will go to the bottom of the bracket.

Gotta lotta time in this mount. I need to add the tie down screws and some angles on the back for the tailight (gonna make another lottsa LED's custom) and then take it all apart again to paint it.

You are right, I am really looking forward to this bike - :)