4 stroke mount improvement

GoldenMotor.com

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO

kept losing mount bolts they rattled lose etc so had to to think well decided to drill out a nice hole and put a bolt all the way through the mount then lock washer and nut .

still need a nylock nut for it but as of the spin around the block works great feel like short of welding this will make it more bullet proof for sure .

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

kept losing mount bolts they rattled lose etc so had to to think well decided to drill out a nice hole and put a bolt all the way through the mount then lock washer and nut .

still need a nylock nut for it but as of the spin around the block works great feel like short of welding this will make it more bullet proof for sure .
That's a great idea! I normaly have tapped them to 1/4 20 cuz the stock 6 mm strip right out, but this is a better and stronger method.
I would add flatwashers, and lockwashers and tighten the sheet out of it, and it will probably be fine without locknuts.

Last edited:

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
defiantly am going to add more washers and another set of lock washers . the nylocks are just for overkill.

these bolts were just laying around saw them while doing some garage cleaning the garage looks worse know .

sorry for not taking a underside pick .wee.will have to try for one .

tapping to a 1/4 is a good idea . these 6mm are joke especially when you toss a 99cc predator into the equation .

drilling through the aluminum is super easy .

Last edited:

webeneo1

Apr 17, 2012
Denver
Your idea of a screw with nuts on both ends is as good as it's gets.
Always use a washer under the nut.

he said nuts

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
defiantly am going to add more washers and another set of lock washers . the nylocks are just for overkill.

these bolts were just laying around saw them while doing some garage cleaning the garage looks worse know .

sorry for not taking a underside pick .wee.will have to try for one .

tapping to a 1/4 is a good idea . these 6mm are joke especially when you toss a 99cc predator into the equation .

drilling through the aluminum is super easy .
I wish mine were aluminum. I've been using BGF mounts and they are cast iron and heavy.
Did you buy or did you make your aluminum blocks?

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
ive only ever seen aluminum blocks on the 4 stroke mounts cast iron sounds like it would be a nice improvement over these aluminum ones .

drilling through cast iron sounds like it would be a chore . but if it could be done i imagine it would be one strong mount .

i know bicycle-engines.com sales the same mount im useing with the blocks .

dont forget the NUTS LOL .

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
so not realy a long trial so far ive done a little over a 100 miles on it haven't changed any thing from the pics so far nothing has had to be tightened up kinda impressed by that .

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
Nice fix andrewflores17,

I really like the weight savings of the aluminum mount. The black steel mounts (cast iron) that we carry weigh 4.65 lbs while the aluminum mounts weigh 3.1 lbs. (both weights include the top plate and the blocks). Like you guys have experienced, the threads in the aluminum blocks do not hold up very well and this is the cheapest and easiest sure way to fix it. For most people I recommend the black mount because it is beefier and will not strip, but if your looking to save some weight, this is this is the way to go