Want to start a motorized tri-cycle build

GoldenMotor.com

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
So, I might be able to get a brand new Schwinn Meridian tricycle for about 200 dollars.

I already got my first build finished. A Panama Jack huffy-66cc engine, springer front end with 12" ape hangers.

I really want a trike build. I'm really digging the look of a tricycle, specially one I can peddle and then just pop the clutch and cruise. The great thing is my wife is not very mechanically inclined, so worring about ballance plus running a gas and clutch might be out of the question..

So, The Meridian, is pretty awesome.. The experience I have is on a bicycle. So, building a trike is going to be a challenge.

How do I get the motor to drive the rear wheel. I am planning on a 2 stroke 66cc china girl engine.

Any guidance is very appreciated. I'm in a bit of a rut.

Thanks again..

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
75 Views, not one reply?

I have been researching this here, and I can not find an answer. I looked in the first 5 or 6 pages. How do I drive the rear wheels?

PLEASE HELP!!

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I saw those, and they answered some questions.

I'm leaning towards a 4 stroke right now, though. The ones I saw so far on the forum make me think 4 strokes are a little better for the trike build.

Thanks for the reply, though, BarelyAWake. I appreciate your help.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
just be aware that this style of trike is not the best on uneven or roads that have an incline to the side towards the ditch. The term TIPPY comes to mind and highspeed corners are not something you are going to want to do. I am not sure how the rear of that trike is designed so without pictures I can not help you figure out a way to mount a motor to it

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
It might help if you whent to Atomiczombie.com They have a lot of home made trikes. How about a rag mount on the inside of the rear wheel?Direct gearing is better if you can figure out a jack shaft.....Good luck ........Curt

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Hmm... Curtis, the website didn't have actual build pics. I saw a lot of really cool (and some waaaay out there) ideas. It was pretty cool to check out, but unless I missed it, it has no how to section.