No start if no base gasket, no head gasket?

GoldenMotor.com

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Ok, tore down the whole thing, lower end.
I need to actually remove the two wheels that hold the rod in place, in order to access the damaged aluminum on the threaded intake.
How do I remove the actual two wheels that hold the rod in place?Chris B.
Once all the exterior screws, bolts, and nuts are removed the only thing holding the crank in the case will be the bearings and seals. The crank and rod should pull out in as a unit. Might have to use a little persuasion....leather/rubber hammer. Can be done with a light weight hammer with a block of soft wood (tap the crankshaft out of the case). If you noticed in the pictures I split the case apart. After hardware was removed, the only things that were holding the two case halves together was the bearings and seals. That is one picture that I didn't get....the crankshaft laying on the bench.

Photobucket... Thanks Rusty.

Last edited:

his196

Jun 19, 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
Once all the exterior screws, bolts, and nuts are removed the only thing holding the crank in the case will be the bearings and seals. The crank and rod should pull out in as a unit. Might have to use a little persuasion....leather/rubber hammer. Can be done with a light weight hammer with a block of soft wood (tap the crankshaft out of the case). If you noticed in the pictures I split the case apart. After hardware was removed, the only things that were holding the two case halves together was the bearings and seals. That is one picture that I didn't get....the crankshaft laying on the bench.

Photobucket... Thanks Rusty.
Ok, so, assuming I can tap it out, what kind of effort/technique is required to get it to truly re-seat/re-seal?

I don't have any fancy tools, like a press etc.

Finally, I got her pulled apart, down to the one side of the case that has the crank and rod wedged in...and man, very tuff to pull.

Gonna try the hammer method shortly.

I'll try to post a pic or two here too...

~Chris B.

his196

Jun 19, 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
I think he wants to know how remove the crank assembly from the crankcase half, not how to dissasemble the crankshaft.
I've never done that to a HT, but prolly need to use care to not damage crankshaft end and hammer or press it out.
Yep, that's the plan. Got her in half, but the crankshaft/rod assembly is on there pretty tuff.

So, I'm gonna try and gently tap her out.

Should I pull the seal first? (The one behind the magnet). Or just tap it out as is?

Finally, will this require new seal or can I reuse the old one if I don't mangle it?

Pics coming soon.

~CB

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Seals are generally considered expendable.
...unless you're somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, best to replace them to avoid intake leaks which could lean out your running engine and burn it up!
rc

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I'll second that...goes about all seals. About the only seal I'll attempt to reuse might be on my boat trailer. They are easy to replace and I can pack it with grease until it comes out.

his196

Jun 19, 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
Ok, new issue.

I should've taken pics darnit!

I've got 4 woodruff keys now.

One of which I know exactly where/how to reinstall for Magnet.

The others...I'm not certain HOW to re-install.

Ie: I've got one crescent shaped one, and two 'block' shaped.

I believe I know where the crescent one goes, and know how to put on with superglue, but not certain of position!

For the block shaped two, I'm not certain which direction to place them.

Anyone got pics/advice?

These are for the lower end, internal crankshaft/clutch parts.

Thanks!

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Ok, new issue.

I should've taken pics darnit!

I've got 4 woodruff keys now.

One of which I know exactly where/how to reinstall for Magnet.

The others...I'm not certain HOW to re-install.

Ie: I've got one crescent shaped one, and two 'block' shaped.

There should be (4) keys. 1. one in the magnet, 2. one in the chain gear, 3. one in the small clutch gear, and 4. one in the large clutch gear.

I believe I know where the crescent one goes, and know how to put on with superglue, but not certain of position!

For the block shaped two, I'm not certain which direction to place them.

Large flat side up then the gears slides over them, the crankshaft takes the half moon keys.

Anyone got pics/advice?

These are for the lower end, internal crankshaft/clutch parts.

Thanks!
Not all keys will have a flat spot. All 4 of my keys are half moon, no flats.

Crankshaft section #21 (2 each)
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/semicircular-carter-part-p-76.html

Clutch section #19 (2 each)
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/semi-circular-part-p-16.html

Does that answer what you need?

Last edited:

his196

Jun 19, 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
Not all keys will have a flat spot. All 4 of my keys are half moon, no flats.

Crankshaft section #21 (2 each)
Semi-circular Carter (Part #21) [2S-CP-SCC-#21] - $1.09

Clutch section #19 (2 each)
Semi Circular Key (Part #19) [2S-CLA-CKW#19] - $1.49

Does that answer what you need?
Hey Ron,

I'm all put back together, but a couple of quick clutch questions if you're available. Give me a call if you would.

One: I think I stripped the bolt that the Flower Nut attaches to...INSIDE the case, where the bolt mounts/seats, I think I stripped the seat.

Two: How 'low' should the large gear 'sit' in relation to the small gear? I mean, mines flush with the small gear, but not inset, did I not tighten enough?

Let's chat.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
oh gosh, his !!!

u should NOT post a phone # online...

if u REALLY want to talk, transmit that info in a PM !

Yikes!

Best
rc