my destroyed piston...

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
my super-fast Colson (http://motorbicycling.com/f38/one-more-40s-colson-add-fleet-21037.html) hasn't been as super-fast lately.

i've been riding it to work everyday (30mile round trip) and it seemed like it was losing power, was blowing oil out the exhaust, and had some strange rattling going on. it still ran at 40+ though, so i just figured it was taking a beating from the headwinds and the lack of maintenance due to working (more than) full time.

yesterday, i decided to finally change the leaking aluminum exhaust gasket, and i peered into the port and noticed my piston was all messed up.

ripped it apart and found the piston had disintegrated inbetween the rings, and the rattling noises i heard was from the metal chunks that luckily got blown into the exhaust.

there was a ton of blow-by, and that was what caused the oily exhaust.

the good news, besides me having a new piston handy, was that the cylinder walls are perfect. they were black and oily, but after cleaning them with some carb cleaner, they're still chrome, no scratches, no gouges, no nothing.

put the new piston in and it's screaming along at 50+ again.

dunno for sure, but i think opti-2 saved this motor from being a boat anchor. it first started acting up 3 weeks ago, and i kept on riding it everyday, except for last week when i was working out of town. didn't have time to tear into it till yesterday.

i love this bike...:)

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Whoa, you're super lucky. How did the head look? Any chunks in the bottom end? At least you'll only have to get a piston, are you going to re-use those rings?

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
the head had a few dings in it. it's a modified head from a Harley/Aermaachi M50 moped with a better squish band, and i just grinded out the dings and polished it up.

i have another 66cc Starfire motor that was given to me by a guy who broke all the mounting studs off, stripped a head bolt and the exhaust studs, plus some other minor things :))) but the motor's probably a few weeks old, so i used the piston and the rings from it.

i dunno what i'll do with the old one. too small for an ashtray, too jagged for a shifter knob...

maybe a gas cap?

no chunks in the bottom end. they were all stuck in the supertrapp exhaust endcap. you can see the little pile of them near the piston in the picture.

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
fastest 2 stroker that i know of. i think Jeff's (culvercityclassic) thumper monster might be able to beat it, if he's not too scared to find out the top speed...;)

we GPS'd it at 54mph. i coulda squeezed a little more out of it but i caught up to traffic.

one-a-these days i'll GPS it with my phone and film it. just gotta find the time.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Seems they frequently run best right before they hand grenade...
...everything is uber loose and free running, then... KABLOWIE!
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
LOL

O 2...

u guys funny !

...i actually felt guilty mixing up my valvoline the other day...
I suppose I'm gonna have to try the Opti 2...

I like the anthony hopkins movie abt burt munro quite a bit!
...another good motorhead flic is 'Horatio's Drive, America's First Road Trip'.
It's about a guy who took a Winton across the US. SF to CT, i think...
rc