Can I Rotate a Stem?

GoldenMotor.com

Blues88s

Mar 30, 2011
Lake Mary, Florida
I have a Schwinn cruiser with, I think, a touring handlebar. The stem looks like an upside down putter golf club facing outward over the front wheel. I want my bike to have a 1903 Harley look. Can I rotate the stem 180 degrees & face it towards the seat?

I'd like to use wide sweeping longhorn handlebars with a 32" spread but I've read recently that sometimes the grips & hand controls either won't fit or are uncomfortable. Is that true?

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. :-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yes, you can rotate the stem. It is held in the steerer tube by a wedge. Loosen the Allen head bolt and turn it any way you want then retighten the Allen. If it is an older bike that might be rusty, or even a new one for that matter, the wedge might need some persuasion. You can loosen the Allen head and unscrew it a bit, not far, and tap it with a hammer to break the wedge's grip. Then the stem should slide upward and out or just turn it around.
I'm surprised you want to turn the gooseneck around however. The Shwinn cruisers, Jaguar, Southport, etc, are usually a little short for most people and they need more room, not less. A lay-back seat post will help move you back away from the bars a bit.
Tom

Last edited:

Blues88s

Mar 30, 2011
Lake Mary, Florida
Tom, thank you for your reply & info. I hadn't considered the room I'd lose. I'll go to a local bike shop & lay different handlebars on the stem until I find the right one.
Thanks,
Doc

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA

Like this? I like that look too. Should make steering less twitchy, since the grips are farther away from the turning point.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You can do it, but it will make your steering very quick (or do I have have it backwards?). Anyway, I have seen it done.

Blues88s

Mar 30, 2011
Lake Mary, Florida
Thank you all for your helpful responses. Sketchman, thanks for posting the photo, it shows exactly what I want to do. LOL Bairdco! I've looked at your builds many times & am in awe of your skills.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Oh man now I know I am sleepy and don't know it lol. I actually missed that? I am not making fun of the bike at this point just myselflaff

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The bike pictured in my avatar is a Worksman with a Schwinn goose neck, all old stuff and when I was mocking things up and had the handlebars in place... stood back for a stare and thought, "wow, those bars really sweep back... cool". Then realized I had the goose neck backwards and corrected it. Then put it back "wrong" as I liked it better that way. Actually I have ridden it very little since the bike is in Minnesota and I'm in Maryland.
None of which matters now since I'm changing the front to a leaf spring suspension Curtis fox is making up for me. And by summer's end the engine will be replaced with a hundred cc Villiars 2 stroke and the front will have have a plug in optional two wheeled front end transforming my bike into a tribute 1909 Indian tr-car.
It's your bike, do what you want.
SB