Need advice with motor kit on trike

GoldenMotor.com

TheDream

Mar 16, 2011
Illinois
So I recently bought a Schwinn Meridian with plans to put a pull start 4 stroke motor on it. I wanted to get any tips from people with experience doing this before I go and make some expensive mistakes. I have yet to purchase any kit as of now. My biggest concern is the stability of the trike once it picks up some speed. When I ride around motor free, I feel like the trike is pretty unstable and is at risk of tipping. Is this due to not being used to the lack of lean or is there some way to fix this? Any suggestions or ideas would be very helpful. Thanks!

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
the main suggestion is when it comes to turning slow down. i have a huffy cranbrook converted to 3speed trike, and have had it on two wheels going around turns to fast which can be scary depending on the speed. other than that i havent used a fourstroke on anything so i cant really give any help towards that aspect, but i love riding my trike. i find it fun even if im just firing it up to run up the road and back.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Anything with three wheels, legs etc, is inherently unstable. You'll need to use some caution and common sense when riding. Don't expect to take corners and curves like you would in a four or even two wheeled vehicle. I have a trike that has a very low center of gravity, much lower than the Meridian, yet I have to watch how fast I approach a curve or sharp turn. That's just a fact of physics that can not be easily engineeried out of a three wheeler. There are a lot of successful trikes out there but the owners quickly learn the limitations of their vehicles. You will too. Good luck, ride safe.
Tom

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Ride it for awhile until it feels stable for you then put on a motor.

For some reason some people have trouble on trikes.

I don't understand why. I thought most people started out riding trikes ?

I have well over 1000 wreck free miles on a Schwinn Meridian.

Can't say that about any bicycle I have owned. :)

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Anything with three wheels, legs etc, is inherently unstable. You'll need to use some caution and common sense when riding. Don't expect to take corners and curves like you would in a four or even two wheeled vehicle. I have a trike that has a very low center of gravity, much lower than the Meridian, yet I have to watch how fast I approach a curve or sharp turn. That's just a fact of physics that can not be easily engineeried out of a three wheeler. There are a lot of successful trikes out there but the owners quickly learn the limitations of their vehicles. You will too. Good luck, ride safe.
Tom
A trike is inherently stable. It will stand on its own no kickstand. :)

Here is a real good book on trikes.

The tricycle in relation to health ... - Google Books

People knew how to ride them and get around in the 1800's. :)

Last edited:

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i have a beach cruiser converted in to a trike and my trike is very stable like some people said you have to take it easy around the turns other than that u should be okay

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I hope I'm Not too late to offer advice. I just signed up to this site.
You can find a 4 stroke mount for a bike on e-bay. Don't know how well they work, I run 2 cycles on my bikes.
As far as stability goes, I had to use extra bracing from the frame to the rear unit to keep the flex between the two at a minimum.
I also tried to use an extended chopper fork and it DID NOT work out. Try to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Other than that, Breaks,Breaks,Breaks. A three wheeler is a lot heavier than a two wheeler so put a heavy duty breaking system on it. Disc is best.
I just finished a chopper three wheeler with a 80cc 2 stroke, 4 1/4" wide rear wheels and disc rear and caliper front breaks. Going fast is great, Stopping is a lot more important. Try comming up to a red light at 30mph with no breaks, It's a life changing experience.
As I said, I hope I'm not too late to be of some help. Good luck to ya.
Fatdaddyred.