Inattentive bike rider me

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I was testing a new friction drive bike today working out the kinks. It has a gravity clutch also called lifting the motor. I knew i needed a better lift system, but I was just testing the motor right. what can happen? My very first motorized bike accident that's what.

Well you can look down to the bike frame to find a place to anchor the raised motor while the bike decides it wants to jump the curb. In my case I left the bike at about eight miles an hour or so. The bike fell over still running the gas tank started to leak. I managed to turn it off.

A lady came running for her house to ask If i needed an ambulance. I told her no except for a few scrapes I was fine. I was so sore that when I got the bike home, pushed it about five blocks, I went ahead and repaired it, plus I added a better lift system. Why because tomorrow I am going to be so sore, I won't be able to move let alone do anything worthwhile.

Moral of the story, pay attention ALL the time. I also was not wearing a helmet of any kind. I guess the devil wasn't ready for me since I didn't bang my head.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Glad you're okay, man. Some people out there make mistakes that they don't live to learn from. I'm glad this was not the case. Take it easy for a while.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I should have titled the piece inattentive and stupid (no helmet). i have been riding the e bike I built with the trailer without a helmet with no problem at all. That bike is so stable anyone can ride it. This one is a bit hinky, so I should have known better than to look down. A 20" bmx with a 220 lb 6' rider isnt the safest thing anyway but add a motor and then look away and you are headed for disaster.

Remarkably I'm not any more stove up than I was last night. I have managed to walk a mile and a half at the mall. 1/2 my usual morning walk and pick up the pieces for a better drive wheel for the bike so I'm doing good.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
There are some rules learned over the course of your life about pain, then when the pain stops you promptly forget them. For instance.....Nothing hurts as bad on day one as it does on day two. ... Nothing hurts as bad on day two as it does after the sun goes down on day two....Take your drugs (otc) before it starts to hurt again. Little things that if you forget, you wake up in the middle of the night unable to find a position that doesn't hurt....Most important of all... you aren't near as tough as you remember being twenty years ago...

And I thought I was going to ride today,,,,,,,, What wimp I turned out to be.