my trike build

GoldenMotor.com

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
from the motor to shift kit not very much slack the most slack is from the crank to the tranny(nuvinci hub). turning you just got to go slower. but straight aways ive gone through all the gears, and it is actually quite fun to ride and handles pretty well. Note: i have rode it one 2 wheels no motor going and strongly recomend just leaving it on 3 wheels. No wipes outs but while i was doing it all i could think of was ruining my new build before i even get to give it a good paint job. I also need to build a pair of brackets to remount the tranny and trike kit so its more level. I really dont like the basket at such an angle. .trk

@SB My trike i can tell you goes faster than my other bike ever did. i love the way it handles on peaked roads its a little harder to control at higher speeds just takes some extra atention. Over all the trike is awesome
@BA gotta have the front suspension for our roads i could have imagined this thing with out it.

Last edited:

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Issue: throttle cable to long.
Solution: A. cut and resolder, or B. add axtra sleeve
Going with A. i have experience in custome fitting a throttle cable, im going to borrow th g/f camera to post picks of how i do it. Than it will be just adjusting the fuel air mix, and dialing in the idle. Also need to tune the expansion chamber. Any hints and or tricks to tuning i tried to go to SBP for the pdf, but it wouldnt let me download.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Ok so no camera = no pics here is step by step what i do to fix length issues for throttle cables
1. measure access cable length
2. compltely remove throttle cable from carb.
3. cut the amount of access length off that you need, dont cut to much!
4. i wrap solder around the end very thin saulder that i can easily weave into the end of the cable.
notes: make sure your saulder end is not to big for the throttle.
If you want more information, ill be taking pics of an example later on to better show each step. .trk

but im off to go for a cruise, oh and anyone have any idea how to fix low top end power. i try to go wot and the motor just dies out i have to ease into the gas, acceleration sux do to this.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
@ SB and anyone who wants to know handling.

After riding it around for a few small trips here and there, i have noticed that turns are a little freaky if your going to fast. I accidently had in on two wheels in a turn cause i was going too fast.

Peaked roads / \ make it a little harder as well, but just being vigilant and paying strong atention to where your going there is no issues.

I honestly am having a lot of fun everytime i ride it, and may be riding it to work tommarrow morning.

Thank BA for that plug cap, its working great. Note KIT CAPS SUCK!!!!.trk

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
So thanx to a donation, i put on a pait of triple tree forks, thank you again you know who you are... It handles the same, but looks a little meaner. on the ride home from a friends house my front motor mount let go, damn self enduced memory problems, forgot to loctite....:( no damage thank god, but just a nuisance, had to push a whole 15 yards that i was awy from the house pics coming tommarrow...

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Coggswelln,
Nice job!! Gives me more motivation to push on with mine. Any plans for fenders?? I put the flex MTB on mine cause of all the rain etc. Keep up the great work!

Mac

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
The break arm will be tied down, just one of the minor details i havent quite finished up yet...
as for fenders im not sure what i am doing yet. i am debating. As soon as i come to any conclusions or great ideas ill be posting them. the trike rides pretty well, and turns are not bad at all. i still try to lean in to them, but thats habbit. i have taken a few turns two quick that gets very sketchy. other than that its fun through all 3 gears...

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
So today i was just browsing through various threads, and saw how some had got double wall rims for their bike, and that stopped me there. I have already spent over my grand maximum that i told my self i was limited too. but i was just wondering if there are premade double wall rims with hollow hubs, ive done some research and havent found anythin yet. or would i be better off just getting them made? Well off to go work on breaking in the motor, my normal excuse to go for a quick 20 min half hour cruise.....

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hey,Cogswellen.Looks like a fun little project you have going there!
Also looks like you've figured out that these things want to tip easy.
One in front trikes are much more sketchie than 2 in front.Whoever gave you those front forks helped you out some as it stretched you wheel-base some.you need to drop your center-of -gravity as much as you possibly can.For example make it look as much like a Big-Wheel as you can or want!!
20"or24" on back will help alot!
Also you might want to beef up the motor mounting points those exhaust clamps are going to damage your frame!and if your not having frame clearance issues shorten that chain as much as you can.Cool build,have fun!! Kip.
[email protected]

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Well im finally done working for my boss this season, had a great year on the boat!!! Now that my vacation is over its time to order a couple replacement parts, and a low profile air filter. going to do a little tlc on my trike now that i actually have the time for it. Well when it is finally back the way i want it ill post some newer pics especially seems i built my beast to be able to travel in the snow. and for us mainers Snow is always an eventuality up here.....trk

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
well now that i have her fixed up and running great, i have been cruising around a lot today just going around my road its cold so my trips have been shorter(so i dont have to wear a few extra layers) pics will be up either later today or tommarrow, i got to wait for a dedicated picture taker.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
with the snow chains i wont be able to see if it will "drift" around corners.... something i have been wondering about since i started building it. also i cant wait to try and figure out if it will need to be posy rear end for it to drift better, but as the snow is falling i might have to find out soon

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
finally a couple pics and vids from me playing in the snow in the basket is just my extra fuel, tool bag and a jack stand so i can kick it over with out having to peddle(yes im that lazy).... hope you all enjoy oh and a couple vids i was riding it on two wheels, in the snow not the brightest idea i have ever had i just wanted to see what i can personally do with my trike. oh and on another note, it really dont do donuts it may not be slick enough, but in a right hand turn the weight shift goes more towards the left rear wheel(freewheel) allowing the rightwheel (drive wheel) to do short little burnouts..... i think i may go play in the snow some more :D

YouTube - 100 9791

other vids on my channel.

Attachments

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
well come to find out my trike isnt really a good choice for a drifter i bent a rear rim doing a donut. well it was fun while it lasted time to see if i can order e replacement rim and how much, and this summer i will be building brand new rims for it.....till than ill be searching for my next project.

bikeman6969

May 24, 2009
notheast
Hi
This is a picture of a trike that I built if you look at the seat you want to have it ass low and as far back as you can get it it really helps the handling.
I have also built a strech trike and it handled even better because you sit way back on it

Attachments

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
the way mine is set up handles beautifully, and i was just doing donuts and driffting and tacoed the rim. rebuild of the rim has started and will continue for a while ill post when everything is working

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Well what an exciting day, it started with me falling down the stairs, broke the hand rail, and got a cut requiring 6 stitches. So after that i picked up a couple rims from a friend, got home took the tacoed rim apart, and started rebuilding the "rim" onto the hub for the trike. for my first rim build it came out perfect(not including truing) next step is get it actually trued, but i think i might go for a ride even tho it raining