My first build - 1960's Schwinn

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Is there anyway you can redirect the tracking of the chain a bit to give more tire clearance? Those tires are so sharp. Worth the trouble in keeping them clean, I think. Somebody here on the forum said that Mr. Clean wipes work really well.
SB

ridemybikebro

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Thanks for the tip SB, I'll pick some up and I bet I use a lot of them cleaning the tires for the first few rides. There is about 1/5 inch between the chain and the tire.

ridemybikebro

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Today was really FUN! Got everything hooked up and gas'd up the bike and took it for a spin and everything worked fine! Chain stayed on and motor didnt vibrate loose from my sketchy mounts. I did about 5 miles and had a blast. Got back to the house and rolled up in the garage with a big smile on my face.

Thank you to all who contribute to this forum I learn so much from this place it rules!

Gas tank is leaking some from the petcock, so looks like I gotta add another layer or two of teflon tape to the threads. Is teflon tape ok to use or should I go get that gas tape stuff?

Cheers

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Rode this bike today! Oh man it was fun to cruise around on this thing today.
I built the rear wheel up and the 2-speed hub works. I can shift between a high and
low gear with ease, just a little kick back on the peddles and it shifts. So much fun to ride
and my engine kit is in the mail - F50 from thatsdax.
Man! A classic Schwinn with a two-speed bendix. You lucky dawg!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Glad you her going. That first ride is something to remember and just the beginning of a lot of smiles to come. I don't know what it is exactly, but these things are just so much fun to ride. Now get a picture of you smilin' on your cool bike, something to frame and put on the wall. Way to go, Bud!
SB

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Looks like a great ride! I purchased a 3/8 tap and used a brass fitting with some teflon and it worked a-ok. I ran it to a glass bowl filter.

Your ride looks similar to my AMF cruiser. Now all we need is someone to crank out some in expensive tanks to fit in between those bars. in the mean time I have found some decent leads on better looking tanks for the top bars.

ridemybikebro

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Hey all

I've been riding and having a blast! Many thanks to this forum! I have learned so much by just reading threads so thanks everybody.

I've put about 200 miles on her now. I miss the white rear tire... the chain chewed it up something fierce. Any ideas on spacing the chain out some?

-

-

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
A fifth of an inch is plenty of clearance between your chain and rear tire... should not be "chewing up" your tire at all if the chain is tensioned properly most of my bikes have about 1/8" clearance... when you roll the bike with the clutch in does the drive chain get tight then loose then tight... if so you will need to re-center the rear drive sprocket.... that has to be perfect....pretty sure norm has a thread on that...if its not your chain will slap the tire and eventually your motor mounts will fail....beautiful bike you built, i love the old schwinns..... David

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
if anyone caught that thread at motoredbikes(i think)....the one where the guy's front fender support caught his tire, wrapped around it, bent the rim into a lima bean shape and threw him over the handlebars. his front support wasn't a pressed piece of steel like your's though, it was the thicker kind on newer fenders. and i hate being a drag like that, but its something to consider for everyone running fenders. nice bike though....wish i would find one like that at the scrapyard. props on all the work involved with the rear wheel...internal geared hubs are infinitely interesting/a pain in the @ss upon reassembly.