Spooky tooth conversion kit... Vintage 30's cruiser to trike?

GoldenMotor.com

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I was thinking that Spookytooth should 1 up them, and have a simple adapter included in their kits too allow using different Free Wh. sprokets, since Spookytooth don't offer the brakes on their kit like e-bay

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I was thinking that Spookytooth should 1 up them, and have a simple adapter included in their kits too allow using different Free Wh. sprokets, since Spookytooth don't offer the brakes on their kit like e-bay
For 50.00 they offer a coaster brake add another 75.oo for the "for motorized bicycles" option You need and you are at 325.oo
Cheers

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The brake is included on e-bay w/single sproket kit $220,,,,,And I lost track,multi speeds come from the old hub mounted in the regular tri-angle,sorry

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Here is that link I told you about UNIVERSAL TRIKE ADAPTER If You can weld it seems like a no-brainer !! If Your deceide to build somthing let Me know I have the free-wheel adapters in 5/8 and 1 in .75 in, that adapt a shaft to a freewheel axel just catching dust. I think I also have a 5/8 disc brake adapter, and a 8 speed freewheel mounted on an 5/8 adapter.
Cheers
This is a cool site shows how to do the wheel and disk break,amoung other stuff. I am off looking for more parts now.......THANKS...Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pretty cool stuff, you guys. Chainmaker, the link you provided is awesome. Wish I welded, but maybe I can get somebody local interested. It's good to know what is possible off the shelf and in the shop, too. I'm not at a point of building one, but if I know what I want to do can start setting aside what I need. A week or so ago I got a 1940 Schwinn "The World" step through bike in pretty nice shape and can see it as a three wheeler with an automatic four stroke someday... maybe next summer when some other projects are done. I'm getting more and more interested in the idea of building a trike for the disabled or elderly rider... safe, easy to mount and dismount with a whole lot of style. I see no need for more than one speed since it is less safe than a two wheeler at speed, so a bigger driven sprocket would give lots of torque for easy take offs from a dead stop and great hill climbing ability while keeping top speed down to a maximum of 25 to 30 mph. Yeah, this is going somewhere good. Keep talkin' you guys... I'm still taking notes. Thanks!
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Pretty cool stuff, you guys. Chainmaker, the link you provided is awesome. Wish I welded, but maybe I can get somebody local interested. It's good to know what is possible off the shelf and in the shop, too. I'm not at a point of building one, but if I know what I want to do can start setting aside what I need. A week or so ago I got a 1940 Schwinn "The World" step through bike in pretty nice shape and can see it as a three wheeler with an automatic four stroke someday... maybe next summer when some other projects are done. I'm getting more and more interested in the idea of building a trike for the disabled or elderly rider... safe, easy to mount and dismount with a whole lot of style. I see no need for more than one speed since it is less safe than a two wheeler at speed, so a bigger driven sprocket would give lots of torque for easy take offs from a dead stop and great hill climbing ability while keeping top speed down to a maximum of 25 to 30 mph. Yeah, this is going somewhere good. Keep talkin' you guys... I'm still taking notes. Thanks!
SB
I think you should use a three hub as a jack shaft. It would give you just enough range run at lower RPM's when crusing even with a bigger sproket. Kind of like haveing a overdrive in a car. SB I think I have enough stuff to d one of them rear ends. It would not take to long and I could get my neighbor to tig.weld it for just about nothing. So let me know when you are ready if you want. I can do and ship it. I am going to do one for myself could just as well do two at the same time.......LOVE THIS STUFF ....Curt

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think you should use a three hub as a jack shaft. It would give you just enough range run at lower RPM's when crusing even with a bigger sproket. Kind of like haveing a overdrive in a car. SB I think I have enough stuff to d one of them rear ends. It would not take to long and I could get my neighbor to tig.weld it for just about nothing. So let me know when you are ready if you want. I can do and ship it. I am going to do one for myself could just as well do two at the same time.......LOVE THIS STUFF ....Curt
Yeah, I love it, too. I'd be real interested in following up on one of those rear axles you're making. When I got done tinkering on the Worksman Cruiser build last evening and Fasteddy called it quits on the canoe/sidecar to go with it, I pulled out that 1940 Schwinn "The World" step through I got a week ago, picturing the trike rear end with fat cream colored tires and an in frame engine... re upholster the seat, but leave the original paint on the frame and bring it back to life some like Bairdco did with his first Colson... give it a coaster brake front hub (Bairdco again), redo the fenders in the original color, but pretty flat to blend in the old paint on the frame... one of those leaf front forks like on the Monroe bike... I think I like it. Especially if I can do it kind of on the cheap. That step through frame is growing on me. Knowing the old lady who rode it as a kid makes me want to do something with it and I think a three wheeler might be just the thing.
SB

Attachments

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
Keep talkin' you guys. I'm listening and taking notes. The conversion kit on ebay looks good, but I'm still not clear on how you would mount the sprocket for the engine drive chain. Has anyone here used this?
SB
go to walmart for$ 9.99 you can buy training wheels >>>> hahahahahaa!!!laff

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
go to walmart for$ 9.99 you can buy training wheels >>>> hahahahahaa!!!laff
I've tried keeping my cool after reading your insensitive post, trying to understand why you would say this. It isn't funny. Older people are not funny. Disabled people are not funny. There are a number of people on this forum with some very cool three wheeled bikes. Are you suggesting we are less than if we don't ride a cruiser or a stretch, a ratrod, a boardtrack racer to lay out on? Where's the humor? When I was young I was taught that if you don't have anything good to say to say nothing. I don't like every build I see here and if I don't I don't comment. If I like it then I say so. One reason this forum is special is the kindness and consideration shown here. I would never make fun of your choice in what to ride and expect the same in return.
SB

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
lord,please place a sandbur in the crotch of his jeans,amen.
ok thats done ,now we all make mistakes so if you say your sorry ,I think we will accept

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kla63
go to walmart for$ 9.99 you can buy training wheels >>>> hahahahahaa!!!

having been visually impaired (only 1 eye works, a patch/black lens over the other) for 20+ years),,,,
I find your comment incredibly not cool, and insensitive !!!

usually grownups are more forgiving about stuff like this, most adults will turn their heads so you don't think they are staring, while little kids will stare ;)

do you laugh and stare at kids with downs syndrome or in a wheelchair as well ??? :(:(:(

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
We now return you too your regular programing,,,,,,

The Spooky Tooth conversion kits....Vintage 30's cruiser to trike?

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
I've tried keeping my cool after reading your insensitive post, trying to understand why you would say this. It isn't funny. Older people are not funny. Disabled people are not funny. There are a number of people on this forum with some very cool three wheeled bikes. Are you suggesting we are less than if we don't ride a cruiser or a stretch, a ratrod, a boardtrack racer to lay out on? Where's the humor? When I was young I was taught that if you don't have anything good to say to say nothing. I don't like every build I see here and if I don't I don't comment. If I like it then I say so. One reason this forum is special is the kindness and consideration shown here. I would never make fun of your choice in what to ride and expect the same in return.
SB
its a joke get over it !!!!!!!!!!! boo whoo !!! and too who all quoted ...... like you have never made jokes ..... what ever!!!.flg.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I think "lol' would have been more accepted, the "hahahaha" did sound mean,BUTT ,I for one accept your apology,,Now we return you to your regular programing,,

The Spooky Tooth conversion kits... Vintage 30's cruiser to trike?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
SB,,,
the biggest problem with a bolt on trike rear end is that there is not room for a sprocket bigger than 36T due to the cross bar brace,,,
I have done a few of these (3) with azvinnie (my son-in-law), and top end is good but they are a bear (;) pun intended ;)) to pedal off the line

spooky's kit is complete tho, and not badly priced for all you get with it

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
SB,,,
the biggest problem with a bolt on trike rear end is that there is not room for a sprocket bigger than 36T due to the cross bar brace,,,
I have done a few of these (3) with azvinnie (my son-in-law), and top end is good but they are a bear (;) pun intended ;)) to pedal off the line

spooky's kit is complete tho, and not badly priced for all you get with it
Well, that's good to know and something to keep in mind. I've been thinking that if I do this the engine will be a four stroke. With a drive setup like you have with your EZM kit, I was thinking this would not be a problem, accelerating from a dead stop. If I build one of these it is partly as a kind of prototype with the idea of making a really user friendly, easy to start, easy to mount and dismount, easy to ride motorbicycle for a disabled or elderly rider. No bump start, for example. Do you see this working or am I going to be disappointed? What about that new version Quenton is working on that is going to be a 2 speed? I was thinking maybe that would be just the thing. Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated. I know that Steve (fasteddy) is thinking about this setup for his next build and I know that others of us who are hooked on motorbicycles are going to be less able to ride a two wheeler some years down the road. Bad knees, bad hips, arthritis and in my case partial paralysis are all previews of coming detractions. I'd put a motor on a wheelchair if I had to. I do like the wind in my face...
SB