Any knowledge of the Cheap Electric Scooter kits?

GoldenMotor.com

Shiseiji

Jul 6, 2010
No. VA
Hello, Ron here, Jack of all trades, dangerous in most.
I am starting a new job about 2 miles from where I live. But . . . I have a major hill to climb to get home. Once up it I don't really need anything.

I have three bikes, a 1988 Schwinn High Sierra (haven't killed it yet); 2006 Montaque Hummer (some good points & some not so hot); 2006 Fuji Crosstown. Grocery getter and occasional commuter to my current job 7.5 mi each way, so far, so good but I should have held out for a 23" frame.

I am debating between simply changing the chainring to below 20 gear inches or considering a kit from http:// www. cheapelectricscootersonline.com / product / CR-HT

for either the Schwinn as it is a solid steel frame or the Montaque. I figure it would be easy to pop off if I choose to ride elsewhere and not a major investment to get started.
I have been searching the forums but haven't found any postings (at least with the search terms I tried <grin>).

Anyone tried one of these things? Comments? Bad experience with their batteries?

TIA
Ron

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Hello, Ron here, Jack of all trades, dangerous in most.
I am starting a new job about 2 miles from where I live. But . . . I have a major hill to climb to get home. Once up it I don't really need anything.

I have three bikes, a 1988 Schwinn High Sierra (haven't killed it yet); 2006 Montaque Hummer (some good points & some not so hot); 2006 Fuji Crosstown. Grocery getter and occasional commuter to my current job 7.5 mi each way, so far, so good but I should have held out for a 23" frame.

I am debating between simply changing the chainring to below 20 gear inches or considering a kit from http:// www. cheapelectricscootersonline.com / product / CR-HT

for either the Schwinn as it is a solid steel frame or the Montaque. I figure it would be easy to pop off if I choose to ride elsewhere and not a major investment to get started.
I have been searching the forums but haven't found any postings (at least with the search terms I tried <grin>).

Anyone tried one of these things? Comments? Bad experience with their batteries?

TIA
Ron

Do you want an electric bicycle or an electric scooter? What State do you live in? Every state has differnet laws about different electric devices... Do you have a driver's license?

Lots of questions need to be answered before we can give you an educated answer.

Shiseiji

Jul 6, 2010
No. VA
Sorry on lack of detail. I live in VA, <49cc/1k watts is a motorized bicycle which is what I am thinking for now so I won't have to deal with license right now. I rode a 550 in the 80's, then took the class in '05. A bunch of work issues (was active Army and things got busy & I delayed going to the DMV till the last day the certificate was good and couldn't get the license because I didn't have proof of citizenship. getting a motorcycle license in VA is a Royal Pain . . .

Hence the question on experience with the low wattage hub motor. As the commute will be so short it is really the darn hill that is the issue. The other places I ride are nothing like the hill up from the river. I have also found a kit for $150 less I could then use that $ toward a better battery from Ping. Funny they only knock off $20 for not taking the battery but I guess a bunch of spares simply eats profit margin.

Thanks, will give any more details needed, sorry I don't know what all to provide.

Ron

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If the hill is as long and steep as it sounds then I would think elect. would assist but not pull the hill on its own,

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
1 KW motor can pull up that hill , for sure. I don't understand why anybody wants to have pedal assist motor/kit. I would choose motor (and battery pack) that is capable to propel me without pedaling , and if I want to pedal - I can , with or without motor help. I suggest you to shop around some more (read Endless-sphere forum) and , whatever you do , try to get Lithium batteries. Best of luck.
P.S. I don't like kits at all, because ,most of them, are restricted in some way (economic/profit reasons, I guess)

Shiseiji

Jul 6, 2010
No. VA
Thanks Corgi1. I enjoy ridding, and all I really need for now is the hill assist. The company seems like is has been around long enough to establish manufacturing, but I can't locate any reviews of their projects.

Zabac70, thanks for the information on the batteries. I ride for the exercise. It would be easiest and cheapest for me to simply ride the train for two stops as my new job will pay the fare. I am trying to strike a middle ground. I have thought about an electric scooter too, if you have any insight on them I would love to hear it.

Ron

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
El. scooter has more weight than a bike (unless you thinking of cheap Chinese thing for kids) and brings up more attention on the public road by representatives of the law (you know - guys in blue) - you should refer to local traffic regulations about that. I don't see any advantage over the electric bike.
If you are on DIY side , possibilities for el. bike are endless. When i mentioned Lithium based batteries for it , that was because they are light weight with super energy density for their size and weight. If you go with (somewhat) cheaper SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) , you must count in substantial weight , when you are in "exercise mode". Motors are different and people use everything from truck viper blade motors , over model airplane motors to hub motors (even car starter motors, but nobody advices that).
My choice would be hub motor (for rear wheel) , or , if you can handle a little drilling and/or welding, any brushless motor geared properly , on the opposite side of your bike's gear cassette . You can use brushed motor too , but they have less efficiency (therefore less range for the same battery pack - in your case it is insignificant - you ride just about 4 miles).
I've wrote this so that you understand that your money (most of it) should go into battery pack , not in the motor - don't bother yourself to look for any "brand". Also , you should know that Amps are the things that propels el. vehicles , and Volts means speed (motor RPM). So , you need system that can handle more Amps for that hill , which means controller should be rated at least 25-30 Amps (motor should withstand that too). That is just to be on a safe side (not to burn your controller - motors rarely dies that way , unless they are jammed somehow on full throttle).
Regarding your first post , I've concluded that you want hub motor , so my recommendation is nine continent hub at 36 Volts ( Nine Continent Hub Motor Kit [NC01] - $347.00 : Cycle 9, commuter bikes, electric bikes, e-bike kits, accessories and more ) , with LiFePO4 batteries (you don't really need more than 10 AH pack , if that much, for your commute). You can find cheaper components (and batteries) on e bay or Craig list than on the manufacturers sites.
You should really read some more about the subject , to avoid spilling unnecessary amount of money for your system (as I've mentioned before - Endless-sphere forum , instructables or whatever Google offers). If you have some more questions , just ask.

Shiseiji

Jul 6, 2010
No. VA
Thanks so much for the detailed reply and the offer. Former aircraft mechanic, so P=I*E etc. is still in my head decades later and DYI is only limited by tools available (only hand right now) and being out of practice (TIG, MIG, stick, gas).

Do you see much value in Lithium polymer (LiPoly) vs. lithium ion?

I try to balance value with $ available. Kids are spending me dry again so I have to deal with the "possible" too.

Thanks again

Ron

P.S. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
Recently , more people deals with LiPo , because they getting more advanced and resistant to high current draws (search this forum , someone posted about them , few days ago , I think he mentioned batteries from HobbyCity , something like 22,2 V , 5 AH , 15-20 C for ~ 50$ a pack - you'll be needing few of those). LiIon batt. tends to catch fire if abused (which they will be in el. bike), but some people use them too (of course , they know what they are doing).
Since you don't have much tools , hub motor is solution for you (you can buy used one - those things can't wear out, unless physically damaged); you can check out also Crystalyte or Golden motors (latter is a bit expensive). Once again , read the suggested forum - lots of info there , about subject and directions where to buy (for less money, of course) and how to do something (electrical connections , positioning of parts , measuring instruments/gadgets...). Money is always an issue (almost always), that is why I suggest reading other forums and E bay and Craig list for components - except for batteries (maybe controller).
BTW , I'm aircraft mechanic too (well, I've finished school for it) , but worked only one year , 20 years ago (Canadair , fire fighting thing , in the Air force in my country). As for kids (two teenage daughters) - tell me about it :)

Shiseiji

Jul 6, 2010
No. VA
Thanks!

Yea, almost same here. I did my PowerPlant and then worked as a contractor/government on UH-1s for almost three years. Passed the written for my airframe twice and still regret not taking the practical. Then went active and got to fly UH-1 for 9 and UH-60 for 1.

Have started to search out other forums. I am researching out current information on the GM, but am also thinking it may be worth spending a bit more for a planetary gear hub . Am trying to get smart on the batteries so I understand what I am getting into. I am surprised about the LiIon as they seem to be the "hot ticket." Maybe too much so.

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
Planetary gear hubs are other word for underpowered. Gears add weight and maintenance (they get broken before motor , for sure). Said 9Continent (for example) has a lot of torque and it is capable to propel guy of some 250 pounds up very steep hill without pedaling at 48 V (I saw it myself)- no excess heat there. Crystalyte 53xx , also. Brush less , permanent magnet , hub motors has nothing to get broken , accept for HALL sensors (electronic sensor which determines position of the rotor at any time per phase) and those are not problem if you use sensor-less controller (Infineon chip based one , for example). Anyway , HALL sensors are cheap .
LiIon are "hot ticket" for battery power tools , but that is changing also (see DeWalt). Anyway , try you tube for some clips with hub motors on electric bikes , just to get "feel" how it goes...Good luck!