Im Going Legal in PA

GoldenMotor.com

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
Also a trying to get a registration in PA. Once I found an enhanced Inspection station that would do it they did not know what the bike would need. Not all stations do bikes. So I got tired of waiting for them to find out after three weeks from the DMV and I spent hours calling around till I finally got a call back from the DMV Special Services Department. The women told me the bike will need headlight ok, brakes ok, turn signals no problem, rear view mirror ok, and now for the kicker DOT approved tires. Well then I searched from here to mumbles Ville and I’ve been told no one makes such a thing in a bike tire. I even check with Continental tire in Germany. Anybody know any different or have an idea.

vmc5150

Jul 30, 2008
So I am confused. On PENNDOT's Fact Sheet for Mopeds, Motor-Driven Cycles, and Motorcycles, the following is stated at the bottom:

NOTE: Motorized pedalcycles and side-cars for motorcycles are not titled in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

So if they are not titled, they cannot be registered. If they cant be registered they cant be inspected and/or insured.

Anyone else following my line of thinking here?

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
THEY RUN YOU IN CIRCLES! :rolleyes: WHAT`S A GIRL TO DO ?? PHOTO COPY ALL YOUR RESEARCH, CARRY A BRIEF CASE AND IF YOU GET STOPPED, HAND THE MAN THE BOOK?? ASK HIM TO CONTACT YOU WHEN HE HAS THE CORRECT ANSWERS. THIS KIND OF THING CAUSES FOREHEAD WRINKLES!! LIKE IN CLINT EASTWOOD- JOSEY WALES, THE OLD INDIAN, "ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE". ONCE YOU GET IT DONE, YOU SHOULD HAVE A FEELING OF VICTORY! GOOD LUCK:ride: RON

vmc5150

Jul 30, 2008
I am just going to keep a copy of the PENNDOT Fact Sheet in my wallet and show it to them if I ever get stopped. As long as I follow the rules of normal bicyclers and am not riding in traffic, I think I will be OK.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Vcm5150------your Post #22, Looks Like The Answer To Me, That Should Cover It. It`s Like, The Rite Hand Doesn`t Know What The Left Hand Is Doing.

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
Yes any motor drive vehicle must be registered in PA to be driven on the road.
Been in contact several times with the PA DMV and just brought my bike back after two weeks at an enhanced inspection station. Which I’ve been informed it must comply with chapter J of the Vehicle equipment and Inspection Regulations.
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/section_jk.pdf
One of the out standing point is it must have min.7500 candlepower low beam and min. 10,000 c.p. high beam. In the process of meeting all their demands know. Hope to be done in two weeks then I’ll return the bike to try again for a reconstructed title. Cause there lies the problem; it can’t be registered till it has a title. I’ll keep you all up dated and with pictures. You’re going to love this one. They haven’t beaten me yet!

Radmanfly

Jul 28, 2008
Oswego, NY
www.farleysradiator.com
Been in contact several times with the PA DMV and just brought my bike back after two weeks at an enhanced inspection station. Which I’ve been informed it must comply with chapter J of the Vehicle equipment and Inspection Regulations.
One of the out standing point is it must have min.7500 candlepower low beam and min. 10,000 c.p. high beam. In the process of meeting all their demands know. Hope to be done in two weeks then I’ll return the bike to try again for a reconstructed title. Cause there lies the problem; it can’t be registered till it has a title. I’ll keep you all up dated and with pictures. You’re going to love this one. They haven’t beaten me yet!
If I send you my bike with all the required upgrades implemented, would you be willing to register it as a moped and "sell' it back to me to register in NY? For a fee? Say $75.00 plus expenses? Think about it and see how yours goes first then get back to me ok? Scott

Me-N-Mike

Jul 23, 2008
Central PA
So I am confused. On PENNDOT's Fact Sheet for Mopeds, Motor-Driven Cycles, and Motorcycles, the following is stated at the bottom:

NOTE: Motorized pedalcycles and side-cars for motorcycles are not titled in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

So if they are not titled, they cannot be registered. If they cant be registered they cant be inspected and/or insured.

Anyone else following my line of thinking here?
The fact sheet you are looking at is probably the older one dated 2004. There is an updated sheet on PennDot's site at PENNDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Motorized Scooters (dated March 2007) where they have removed Motorized Pedalcycles from the note. Even though both 'Motorized Pedalcycle' and 'MOPED' (MOtorized PEDalcycle) are used in the statutes, I believe PennDot considers all of them MOPEDs.

That being said, I would love to get a distinction made as I personally consider them to be very different animals.

scribbles

Jul 4, 2008
well guys i have some very bad news.... it can not be done in PA i found a snag... the guy that was going to inspect by bike so i can get my title found out when he called the state that my bike has to have a DOT frame tires wheels and forks blah blah blah... and unless i make 30 bikes and stress test them with the government im out of luck... now i am back to the drawing board because i do not want to give up since i built a bike with turn signals, horn, mirrors, head light, working break light, and a kick stand and 50cc engine (about $600)... so the main thing is to get a title and im ready to regester... so does any one no of a way to get one in a close state and then transfer it to PA so i can register it...

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
That is a cool looking bike and one meant to be used. I run by the theory that I need to blend in as far as regulations go and try not to be noticed. That is about the opposite of being noticed and not run over on the roads. It seems like the government is not wanting to bother with registering us "YET". I would take that as a good sign and just not register it. The time they do go after us as another tax base may not be far off but we are still a fringe group with small enough numbers that it would not pay them to go after us. I would like to see all benefit from these great machines but dread adding another few hundred dollars to their cost. They would be no better off for all that cost and regulation added.

vmc5150

Jul 30, 2008
well guys i have some very bad news.... it can not be done in PA i found a snag... the guy that was going to inspect by bike so i can get my title found out when he called the state that my bike has to have a DOT frame tires wheels and forks blah blah blah... and unless i make 30 bikes and stress test them with the government im out of luck... now i am back to the drawing board because i do not want to give up since i built a bike with turn signals, horn, mirrors, head light, working break light, and a kick stand and 50cc engine (about $600)... so the main thing is to get a title and im ready to regester... so does any one no of a way to get one in a close state and then transfer it to PA so i can register it...
Well....I am located in a rural area where the state troopers patrol......good thing for me is that there is only 4 of them and they are either at the station or the Wawa. I never see them out patrolling. I am just gonna keep riding and see if they hassle me.

DAMN THE MAN!!!!!

Last edited:

kengorman

Jul 9, 2008
How can they ask you to comply with Chapter J of the Vehicle equipment and inspection regulations, yet those same regulations state the following:
(e) Exemption - A motorized pedalcycle is exempt from inspection.

Assuming you need to have the vehicle initially inspected just to get a title, one could assume that after it's titled, you can remove any of the equipment you and ride it.

My fear is that they'll keep rejecting the vehicle. Today, you put on DOT approved lights. Tomorrow it is turn signals. The next day it is mirrors, etc...

Looking at the regulations, there is a lot of extra equipment required to be in compliance, including mirrors that are at least 12.5 square inches, chain guard, fenders, headlight, tail-light, and a stand.

Please keep us posted whether you're able to get your bike titled.

Thanks,

Ken

saf

scribbles

Jul 4, 2008
I HAVE SUPER GOOD NEWS FOR ANY ONE IN PA... UNDER 50CC ON A PEDAL BIKE IS LEGAL... i checked with the state police and campus police and they say we are legal, if the engine is under 50cc on a pedal bike and at night we must have a head lights and rear light or reflector... and i think a horn but this made me so happy.... the police at my school registered my bike into there computers and engraved the frame with my drivers license number and incase of theft i report it to them and they take care of the rest... also the police loved my bike and took it for a ride talk about super sweet!!!

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Congrats Scribbles on being approved, your bike looks great too. I love industrial bikes they are pretty much indestructable. It has been my experience here in MI that the cops are more courious about the bikes than anything. I have talked to several including state troopers and sherifs and even had one of our locals in my garage to se exactly what I was building and they all love them. I've only been pulled over once and that was because she had never seen anything like my bike before. Enjoy the ride...Kelly