Anyone tried this brake light/signal combo?

GoldenMotor.com

Barfly

May 2, 2010
Boise, ID
I had one a few years ago. It got rained on once and quit forevermore.
SB
I have read in the reviews that it was doubted for weather and such.

Any chance some super glue around the casting would make it waterproof?

Or,
any suggestions, as far as something better that will do the job.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have read in the reviews that it was doubted for weather and such.

Any chance some super glue around the casting would make it waterproof?

Or,
any suggestions, as far as something better that will do the job.
I don't remember how the batteries loaded, but so long as you could replace batteries I would think some kind of epoxy or silicone would do it. It was pretty bright as I recall, but I didn't use it long enough to be able to say much for it's durability. I do know that some of the little headlights made for bicycles which are pretty bright and very inexpensive were a waste of money for me. Maybe for a sedate ride on a pedal cruiser, but for a motored bicycle they need to be pretty durable as mine would shut off and I'd have to reach down to turn it on again... I never spent the money for the expensive ones. Now I make my own head and tail lights and buy 6 volt LEDs as components to wire up myself using the engine magneto and a back up of battery power if the engine quits. I don't much care about turn signals, but I do like a brake light and use a brake lever made for electric scooters which activates when you depress the hand lever... very sure set up that way, but lots more hassle than what you are looking at in this little unit. For the money it is probably worth a try. Good luck.
SB

Barfly

May 2, 2010
Boise, ID
I don't remember how the batteries loaded, but so long as you could replace batteries I would think some kind of epoxy or silicone would do it. It was pretty bright as I recall, but I didn't use it long enough to be able to say much for it's durability. I do know that some of the little headlights made for bicycles which are pretty bright and very inexpensive were a waste of money for me. Maybe for a sedate ride on a pedal cruiser, but for a motored bicycle they need to be pretty durable as mine would shut off and I'd have to reach down to turn it on again... I never spent the money for the expensive ones. Now I make my own head and tail lights and buy 6 volt LEDs as components to wire up myself using the engine magneto and a back up of battery power if the engine quits. I don't much care about turn signals, but I do like a brake light and use a brake lever made for electric scooters which activates when you depress the hand lever... very sure set up that way, but lots more hassle than what you are looking at in this little unit. For the money it is probably worth a try. Good luck.
SB
Thanks for the response.

I am gonna give this setup a try, since I already ordered it.

One more question.
In your opinion,
do I have to find a way to waterproof the control switch that goes on the handlebars as well as the light itself?

ailgup

Jul 9, 2009
USA
yes i have this exact model. THe batteries load in the back light device by unscrewing the lens it works very easily. It works well for china standards there are a few small things that i would recommend doing only because i had to do it after the fact. 1. Reinforce soldering done on input to rear light and the led's for some reason on mine one of the five or so led wouldn't light so i had to work on the soldering. Also the blinker is weird it looks like a on off switch but it is more like a button cycling through the various blinking patterns. The turn signal is easy to use with the beeping sound when it is on, but it is difficult to turn it back to off without going signaling the opposite turn if you know what i mean. The horn is VERY loud and some of the noises are rather annoying but they will still be able to hear you with the motor on. Overall a good buy for the money i have had mine about 6 months and it still works great. Chris

ailgup

Jul 9, 2009
USA
Is the brake sensor installation easy?
it depends on your type of brakes but this is usually the most difficult past becayse you need to get the small cyclinder arround the cable which can easilly fray and cause a mess. It is funnel shaped to help with that though.

Don't want you to feel riped off but here is one simmilar for a whole lot less 3-in-1 Electronic Bike Horns with Brake Light and Turning Signals [E2453] : BestOfferBuy.com, Buy DVD, Shop for PC accessories, Discount MP3 Players, Bargain Deal for Surveillance Equipment, Cheap R4 for NDS, X-sim Unlock. But it has the same design and has some good up close pics you can look at.

Also check out thuis model the exact one i bought the only differences between this one and yours are the led on the front of the controler piece it also shows the batteries pictures. http://www.meritline.com/brand-new-14-led-bicycle-indication-light---p-34455.aspx?source=fghdac
chris

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the response.

I am gonna give this setup a try, since I already ordered it.

One more question.
In your opinion,
do I have to find a way to waterproof the control switch that goes on the handlebars as well as the light itself?
Sure, why not? There's no reason you'd need to open it up for anything, so seal it closed.
SB

Barfly

May 2, 2010
Boise, ID
yes i have this exact model. THe batteries load in the back light device by unscrewing the lens it works very easily. It works well for china standards there are a few small things that i would recommend doing only because i had to do it after the fact. 1. Reinforce soldering done on input to rear light and the led's for some reason on mine one of the five or so led wouldn't light so i had to work on the soldering. Also the blinker is weird it looks like a on off switch but it is more like a button cycling through the various blinking patterns. The turn signal is easy to use with the beeping sound when it is on, but it is difficult to turn it back to off without going signaling the opposite turn if you know what i mean. The horn is VERY loud and some of the noises are rather annoying but they will still be able to hear you with the motor on. Overall a good buy for the money i have had mine about 6 months and it still works great. Chris
Have you had any trouble with water and your light?

Have you done any modifications for this reason.

And damn, the lights are cheaper on the sites you linked.
I gotta stop being so impatient about getting parts to finish my bike,
and be smart about money instead.

ailgup

Jul 9, 2009
USA
Have you had any trouble with water and your light?

Have you done any modifications for this reason.

And damn, the lights are cheaper on the sites you linked.
I gotta stop being so impatient about getting parts to finish my bike,
and be smart about money instead.
i don't ride my bike in the rain just because i could ride a car and not get wet but if i were too waterproof which i have not i would maybe put some tape around the seals but waterproofing the buttons would be hard. I would use maybe a plastic bag when it is raining hard??? seems like the best temporary solution anything else would be tough with the buttons and all.
chris

Barfly

May 2, 2010
Boise, ID
i don't ride my bike in the rain just because i could ride a car and not get wet but if i were too waterproof which i have not i would maybe put some tape around the seals but waterproofing the buttons would be hard. I would use maybe a plastic bag when it is raining hard??? seems like the best temporary solution anything else would be tough with the buttons and all.
chris

Good Advice.
A tight plastic bag over the controls was what I was thinking.

Barfly

May 2, 2010
Boise, ID
Shipping on this item was very fast.

Installed it this morning.

I put the brake sensor on the clutch.
Since my back brake is a coaster brake,
and the wire is too short to reach a front (which I don't have yet)
it is the only place it could go.

I had to cut a piece of the clutch spring off
to make room for the brake sensor to work properly.

The stupid horn that I will probably never use seems to be the main
source of water getting in.
I think I am gonna cover the horn and the whole back of the control box with packing tape.
The horn is dumb, and I think it has to be muffled if this thing is ever gonna survive in the rain.

I am little disappointed with the rear light only being one bulb.
I hope that is gonna be bright enough.
The break sensor lights up the two other bulbs when activated.