CycleMotor Test Trip!

GoldenMotor.com

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Had Google pick me out a walking directions path for traveling from Pensacola,FL to San Francisco,CA. This will be a test bed trip to see if I am worthy of a Pan-America Highway trip to Patagonia next year. I figure if I can make it the 5000 miles round trip to California, I'll do decent on the 12,000 mile trek to the end of South America. I plan on modifying the google trek to suit my needs and also visit friends and fellow MBer's!!! Let me know if you are any where near this route! Hope to go in July for my good friend James King's birthday, he is the proud owner of the Black Horse London Pub, where I worked while finishing film school. But if all else fails with scheduling(jobs suck!), I at least want to go by the fall, Octoberish.
I plan on taking the US-85 route, to go into Mexico for a bit through Juarez.
I keep you guys posted, I will be Videotaping the whole way and uploading them to a Blog!
L8R...

Last edited:

jimrandolph

Nov 28, 2009
signal mountain, tn.
Hey ! Buddy, PLEASE stay OUT of MEXICO. I made a trip on my MB to south Arizona 2 yrs ago and the trip took me into Mexico, I got robbed, they took my bike beat me up and were gonna leave me for dead. I had to shoot 2 of the guys, the 3rd one ran away, but at least I got my money and bike back. I'll NEAVER! go to mexico again!!!
Jim.trk

Had Google pick me out a walking directions path for traveling from Pensacola,FL to San Francisco,CA. This will be a test bed trip to see if I am worthy of a Pan-America Highway trip to Patagonia next year. I figure if I can make it the 5000 miles round trip to California, I'll do decent on the 12,000 mile trek to the end of South America. I plan on modifying the google trek to suit my needs and also visit friends and fellow MBer's!!! Let me know if you are any where near this route! Hope to go in July for my good friend James King's birthday, he is the proud owner of the Black Horse London Pub, where I worked while finishing film school. But if all else fails with scheduling(jobs suck!), I at least want to go by the fall, Octoberish.
Here's the Google Maps link....
3945 Kingsberry Dr, Pensacola, FL 32504 to 1514 Union Street, San Francisco, CA 94123 - Google Maps
I plan on taking the US-85 route, to go into Mexico for a bit through Juarez.
I keep you guys posted, I will be Videotaping the whole way and uploading them to a Blog!
L8R...

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Are you joking me??? Cause I've lived in Mexico. Yea Juarez is rough but I've been in worse. Sorry you had an F'd up experience, man. Hope you dropped that gun in a ditch somewhere...

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
No, I'll be going through Phoenix. There are three paths that it picked out, the one I am choosing is the third down, the US-84 trip. I'll come really close to your area.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Hey ! Buddy, PLEASE stay OUT of MEXICO. I made a trip on my MB to south Arizona 2 yrs ago and the trip took me into Mexico, I got robbed, they took my bike beat me up and were gonna leave me for dead. I had to shoot 2 of the guys, the 3rd one ran away, but at least I got my money and bike back. I'll NEAVER! go to mexico again!!!
Jim.trk
I guess this was so funny to me because I kept getting this mental picture of a bunch of mexican drug thug gang bangers stopping this poor guy on a bicycle. Robbing, beating, then all of a sudden the poor guy breaks out some sort of firepower and starts shooting. After all the bad guys fall, the seemingly poor guy collects his things, gets back on his little bicycle, and speeds away around 30mph into the sunset before the policia catch up.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Hey Bill,
That's sweet, nice to see they have nice roads out there in Arizona. I was checking out the trip through Google street view(great way to check out road conditions), and there's plenty if space for little old me. Wish I could say the same about Florida, instead we have bike lanes that end abruptly. When ever there is a left hand turning lane they just take away the bike lane to make room for the extra space. So what happens is the middle of the road gets taken up by a left turner, so your stuck in a lane with cars trying to get past you and the turner so there is no room... Instant accident. I've seen 4 bicyclers get hit in the past year on one of the same turning lanes. Its terrible for pedestrians here in Pensacola.

Civilized,
I thought the same thing. Hope he didn't take his best piece/gat and then had to toss it. Sounds like someone's never left the Tennessee hills, whoops wait.. what am I saying I was born in TN, lol.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Civilized,
I thought the same thing. Hope he didn't take his best piece/gat and then had to toss it. Sounds like someone's never left the Tennessee hills, whoops wait.. what am I saying I was born in TN, lol.
It really sounded like a South Park episode. I can hear Cartman screaming, "Respect my authorita!"

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Jim.trk
Uh, me too. :rolleyes:

Only the three banditos were three beautiful Mexican ladies, they took my money fo'sho', but not my bike, and didn't really beat me up, but there was some physical contact. I would definitely recommend Mexico, and parts south. It's some beautiful country, especially if you've ever really been there.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Travel Schedule with major and minor cities

Pensacola, FL

(210 miles) 1 day travel

Abita Springs, LA 1 day stay
(Fountainebleu State Park)($12)

(67 miles) 1 day travel

New Orleans, LA 1 day stay
(Bayou Segnette State Park)($26)

(71 miles) 1 day travel

Donaldsonville, LA
(_)($?)

(174 miles) 1 day travel

Lake Charles, LA
(Sam Houston jones State Park)($16)

(161 miles) 1 day travel

Conroe, TX
(Hunstville State Park)($15) or (Sam Houston National Forest)($20)

(158 miles) 1 day travel

Austin, TX 1 day stay
(Mc Kinney Falls State Park)($16)

(149 miles) 1 day travel

Junction, TX
(South Llano River State Park)($16)

(180 miles) 1 day travel

McCamey, TX
(Open Camping)

(100 miles) 1 day travel

Pecos, TX
(Blamorhea State Park)($14)

(90.6 miles) 1 day travel

Carlsbad Caverns Nat. Park, TX 1 day stay
(Guadalupe Mountains National Park)($8)

(153 miles) 1 day travel

El Paso, TX
(Franklin Mountains State Park)($8)

(148 miles) 1 day travel

Animas, NM
(Rusty's RV Ranch)($24)

(174 miles) 1 day travel

Tucson, AZ
(Gilbert Ray Campground/Tucson Mountain Park)($10)

(127 miles) 1 day travel

Phoenix, AZ
(McDowell Mountain Regional Park)($17)

(179 miles) 1 day travel

Yuma, AZ
(_)

(103 miles) 1 day travel

Salton City, CA
(_)

(58.4miles) 1 day travel

Julian, CA
(Cuyamaca Ranch State Park):confused:

(58.2miles) 1 day travel

San Diego, CA 2 days stay
(Alex's Place)

(134 miles) 1 day travel

Los Angeles, CA 1 day stay
(_)

(101 miles) 1 day travel

Pine Mountain Club
(Mill Potrero Campground):confused:

(127 miles) 1 day travel

Paso Robles, CA 1 day stay
(Paso Robles RV Ranch & Campground)($30)

(151 miles) 1 day travel

Santa Cruz, CA
(New Brighton Beach State Park)

(87.8 miles) 1 day travel

San Francisco, CA

Averaged Total Miles 2800+/- 24 days tvl 8 days sty = 32 Total

Last edited:

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Cool, Thanks, Bill.
I'll send him a message, but I will be traveling up to Phoenix to visit Helmutt, so I'm sure I'll be close by to stop and visit. I'm hoping more people from the forum will chime in if they are close to my route.

The coolest thing has been using Goggle Maps 'Bike' option for finding directions. It takes you the back highways and also scenic bike routes. Another note, is on the option tab(upper part of map) there is a bike button, this will highlight all bike lane routes on the map in green, pretty cool. I was able to plan out camping by entering in my key cities and letting it map it out, then going to the search tab and entering camping and campground. You can then scroll the map around and locations will pop up. Got to give it to Google for inovation, that's why I own some stock, lol.

Don't have a definite date of departure yet but looks to be mid-August or at least by the end of it. Will keep all you guys in the loop. Website(with video posts) coming soon!!!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
If you cruise to Tucson I will gather as many MB riders to join you as I can. Depending when you get here in Tucson if I have the time I will ride to Phoenix with you if I can.

Please keep me posted.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Fair,
That's awesome. As things draw near I'll lat you know, everything is speeding towards a mid to end of August leave, that puts me your way a week into september, but I'll be able to make a better judgement by the end of July. L8R.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Here's a full list of cities with mileage between, travel distances are approximate, considering Google directions leads you to town center of every city.

Pensacola, FL
to Abita Springs, LA

Florida
Start Pensacola
Alabama
+21.0 Seminole
+20.4 Loxley
+12.2 Spanish Fort
+14.1 Mobile
Mississippi
+30.0 Hurley
+04.7 Wade