Comments requested for Newbies mount plan

GoldenMotor.com

tropicpine

Jun 23, 2009
Houston
I've been lurking in the background here for about 6 months. I had intended to forstall this insanity untill I had other issues in my life resolved. At least that was the plan untill I won a Lehr propane weed whacker engine off Ebay for $45 tonight.

Due to this being my first effort I shooting for a SIMPLE gravity dependent friction drive mount.

My plan is to hinge a bracket (pictured in green) off the upper rear frame tube half way between the center tube and tire. This bracket will also mount the engine to the knurlled drive wheel. The weight of the engine will provide the pressure between the knurled drive wheel and tire. The bracket is to be elevated off the rear tire by the pictured lever & cable.

My first concern is, will the engine provide enough weight to provide effective drive.

I would like to get some comment and critique on my plan from some of the veterns on my current plan.

BTW: thanks to diceman2004 for the swiped & doctored drawing.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'll bump this one up.

I know on my Bike Bugs the engine itself was not enough weight. There was a cam mechanisim that held the engien down to the tire and was adjustable for tension using a threaded rod.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If that lever you have on the frame is the throttle? I wouldn't do that!!
Use a normal throttle lever, because if you ever need to stop in a hurry, you'll want to let off the gas that instant!! (& not have the engine keep forcing you forward!)

good luck!