2Door's Titan Trike

GoldenMotor.com

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Re: 2Door's Titon Trike

When I was a kid we would wrap our rear bicycle tire with bailing wire when we had snow or ice. Made a tremendous difference...............

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: 2Door's Titon Trike

Finally got my disc brake parts. Its a neat little mechanical caliper and 6" rotor from Airheart. Actually they've changed the name or merged with another company, Tolomatic. I mounted the rotor on a hub with a 5/8" bore scrounged from some old machine parts and figured a way to mount the caliper to the trike frame so it floats. I pulled my back yesterday and I'm layed up today and probably for most of the weekend so I might not get to do much work on it. Oh well, it snowed again last night anyway and the high today is about 12 degrees so I won't be doing much riding or testing.
I'll take some pictures after the disc brake is finished.
Oh, I had the trike at my work place and drove it around in one of our largest warehouses. On a smooth concrete floor its not so unstable as it is on the street. Even small bumps will keep you on your toes keeping it under control.
Hey, do they allow trikes in the Death Race? :)
Tom

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've been a little slow getting this done but here's the disc brake that I've installed. Its a mechanical caliper activated by a cable and handlebar brake lever. At first I was a bit disappointed with the stopping power but the pads were new and now that I've ridden it a few miles and the friction is getting better it will lock up the rear axle. Using the front drum brake and this rear disc the trike stops on a dime or skids the tires depending on speed. The vertical uprights are the pickup bed supports. The oak slats are drying as I write this and as soon as they are installed I'll post a pic or two.
Tom

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Okay, the stain and varnish is dry and the oak slats installed. Here's the trike, darn near finished. I still need to hook up the brake light switch then go riding. Of course I'll wait until the outdoor temp gets up a few degrees. Its darn cold in Denver and the wind is bad, bad.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Tom,
The wood is a really nice touch. Two things more someday... some upholstery (with a little cushioning) for the seat would dress it right up and a different gas tank (of course since I am in leather covered juice can mode, that's what I see). That looks like a really fun ride and different for sure. Excellent!
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey Tom,
The wood is a really nice touch. Two things more someday... some upholstery (with a little cushioning) for the seat would dress it right up and a different gas tank (of course since I am in leather covered juice can mode, that's what I see). That looks like a really fun ride and different for sure. Excellent!
SB
Thanks Everyone. This has been a fun build. Not sure what the heck to do with it now but maybe when the weather breaks I'll hit the bike trails and see how it does on a long run.
Bear, did you ever give away or throw away something then later find a use for it? I had this really cool aluminum dragster seat with a black leather cushioned seat pad. It would have been perfect for this bike but, alas, I gave it to a friend who put it in a car he built for drag racing. Rats! It would have been so cool too. And, I agree about the fuel tank. The Titan tank just looks out of place up there. Now, if I could just find a miniature pony keg....say... I think I know where there's a couple of those 3" diameter oxygen cylinders...:)
Tom

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
MR TOM, She is a beauty for sure. Just think how many member`s and guest`s around the world get inspired by these awsum machines, and build`s like yours. A lot of part`s etc will be sold. Have plans for this 7" ford oval, but it would look good. it came from "Ocala Emergency One" Fire Truck place. Sorry about the seat!! That`s normally how it go`s !! Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Tom, You no doubt have thought of this. If the tank was lower a top rack would give you cargo space. But then a diaphragm type carb would be needed. Of course it is perfect now. Was looking at my trike, a pic. Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This thing just gets funner and funner. The more I ride it the better it gets. I went over to see Duane (thatsdax) today. He rode it and had a ball. "That thing's fast!" he said.
I got home and ran into a neighbor who has two little ones. I let him ride it. He wants one.

Barley, I happen to have a chrome 'Ford' script that I thought about puting on the back but its just a little too big.

Ron, ya gotta drag that trike out and throw a motor on it. I love my two wheelers but this trike is a blast. I get a lot of "that looks" and many more smiles and waves when I ride it. People see this gray beard and that red trike and maybe it makes them think of Santa. Whatever, they respond positively. Take a look at the pix. The first one is Duane and that old guy in the leather jacket is yours truly.
Tom

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
2DOOR, Do you think sitting that much lower helps the handling a bunch? I did not like how my friction drive trike handled, felt like it was going to tip over. The two young men in the driveway seem very interested!! Ron

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2DOOR, Do you think sitting that much lower helps the handling a bunch? I did not like how my friction drive trike handled, felt like it was going to tip over. The two young men in the driveway seem very interested!! Ron
Ron,
This thing takes some getting used to. It torques to the left on acceleration and to the right when you get out of it. After some time you get used to it and learn to compensate for that weird twisting action. The low center of gravity gives you a feeling of stability but at speed it still feels like if you make any quick moves it might roll up into a ball. I'm cautious with it however and have gotten used to its idiosyncrasies. When I keep the speed down to the low end its docile and fun to ride. The Titan is so quiet that you tend to forget its back there and just putz along enjoying the ride. I can see where a taller trike would feel even more unstable. All three wheel vehicles share that instability. Just use common sence and know that you can't do what you're used to doing on a 2 wheeler and you'll do fine.
Tom