Cozybike Electric Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Id call it more of a scooter than a bicycle. At 90lbs thats kind of heavy to be pedaling without a choice of gearing. I wonder about the quality of its parts? If it does go 40 miles to one charge it would be worth it. Another thing is with SLA batts you need to recharge them when theyre depleted not when you want to.

edoff

Oct 29, 2009
Tulsa, OK
MM, I'm 78 yrs old and don't think I could ride this bike 40 miles, however I have ridden it 20 miles in hilly terrain and the voltmeter indicated I had plenty left. The speedometer is not accurate or linear. I use a schwinn speedo and it indicated top speed at l7 mph. I calibrated the factory speedo to be accurate at 12 mph.

No problems except the pedal sprocket began to slip on the shaft. I spot welded it in a few places and that took care of it.

I had a geared bike before this one and it did better at hill climbing but I didn't like the gear noise.

I am pleased w/this unit all in all and it's right now probably the best buy of all the electrics.

edoff

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I own one and enjoy it. BUT, I am now told that I cannot legally operate it in Michigan, by the State Police . What do I have to do to do so? I have NO operators license.
Welcome to the forum Normanlake
Post your question here or read some of the threads. They may be some help.

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/michigan-motor-bicycle-law-14.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/attempting-register-mi-20333.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/hooray-legal-michigan-9045.html

CozyHarold

Mar 23, 2011
Daton,OH
I have been riding one for 3 years now. I ride it year around, only time i am not riding it is when there is snow or ice on the roads or in VERY heavy rain.
I live in Ohio,Daton. We have hills here and I find the cozy works fine on them, better then me pedling a bike as far as I am conserned.
The bike ,on flat ground, tops out at about 18 mpr or 31kph on the bikes speed oddmeter.
I have ran it ta top speed for the first tow years and you get about 12/15 miles per charge.By this I mean I never peddle at all and recharge when the batts are below 46 volts.
This year I have been pedling for most trips and I ma happy to tell you that the batt will last 3/4 times as long and when you pedling there is no work at all involved, just keep the peddles moving and the bike will run at 20kph.So of course you get more out of the batts.
The very first thing I had to do as a mod to it was to cut the 4" off the shroud at the front as my feet a bigger then the avg person of China.At low speeds when you do have the turn the handle bars you will find your feet may get in the way of the front wheel.Just turn them outwards when needed.
The batts whent bad after the first year but I got US made form batterys pluse,local,about $150.00.Disassembled the batt pack and replaced all 5.You need to beable to solder to do this.Secound year on the new batts and running good.

CozyHarold

Mar 23, 2011
Daton,OH
I was taken to court a few months back by local police for no Drivers lic and no plate on my electric bicycle.So on the ticket the officer put Cozybike in place for the auto vin #.I go to court armed witk all the evendance showing that the stae of Ohio is unaware of an electric bike with a helper motor and with the fedral reg's fo an electric bike.
My turn comes up for my chance to talk to the judge BUT............the DA had droped both charges and mad note in court that I must obay all bycycle laws of the state of Ohio
Seems the looked the laws up, both Ohio and fedral and checked out the cozybikes wed page for the spects on it.

Roadrunner

Feb 23, 2012
los angeles
Yes, I've been riding my cozybike for about 2 years now and it still runs like new. I also checked the legality of the electric bikes but you can ride them without license and registration.
The company has a complete parts list on their website at http://www.cozybikes.com/ and the service is very good. usflg

Sallyshouse

Mar 26, 2014
Wisconsin
I have some health issues that are forcing me to look at other options for getting to work. The distance is not an issue, my main concern is the weight limit. Currently I weigh 290, and the specs state a 300 lb limit. I already plan on having to spend the extra money to add the extra power option to 1000 watts. Have any of you had any issues regarding weight? I am running out of time and see that it takes them weeks for delivery. I am also concerned about the terrible customer service. So far I have only found one place that you can order this from. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Until I am back on my feet, this is about the only option I see working for me. Thank you........Sally.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hi Sally.

This is a pretty old thread, so I doubt if you'll get much in the way of answers. I think the people involved have dropped out of the forum. At least I don't recognize them.

But I've looked at the cozybike website in the past and thought that it looked like a cute little electric bike. I think I also remember seeing others mention de-merits to that particular bike. Such as poor wiring/connectors. Stuff like that. It's not really surprising; lower priced stuff will have issues like that.

If delivery time is a problem, then you might consider an alternative. A Currie model eZip Trailz. Less expensive. They have a step-thru model available. It ought to be ride-able for anyone who is not very, very short. If you're above, say, 5 ft tall you ought to be able to make it fit.

They're not super strong. If you're near the weight limit, then you'd best be prepared to go slow and gentle. But with care you ought to be able to get enough use out of it to justify the purchase. And when that ride's over you'll know whether this type of vehicle will work out for you and you'll have some notion of what you want to move up to next.

Last I knew you could order one from walmart.com and have them ship it to your local store. Figure on roughly 500 bucks. You might want to get the optional second battery pack. Another hundred, roughly.

Sallyshouse

Mar 26, 2014
Wisconsin
Thank you so much for replying. The reason I was considering the Cozybike was because I could upgrade to 1000 watts and it had the 300 lb weight. I work on a bridge and the incline is too much for me to walk at this time and I figured with my current weight I would need the extra boost of power to get up the incline. The fact that it had the 22" wheels was a plus for me also as I could possibly put my feet on the ground while sitting. My greatest fear is ordering this sight unseen so I have been searching the internet reading anything I can. I did look at Walmart's website but if I remember correctly there was an issue regarding the riders weight. I will certainly take another look for the bike you are suggesting. I appreciate your time...........thank you! Sally

Sallyshouse

Mar 26, 2014
Wisconsin
Do you have any knowledge regarding the HyBikes? Made in USA, 1 year warranty, and 390lb limit. Pricey, but I am just trying to keep working. Any help is appreciated. Thank you......sally

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm afraid I know nothing about the HyBikes. Other than having heard the name a time or two before. I searched a bit. Here's one model I found.
http://www.bikemania.biz/electric-bicycles/hybikes-polarity-low-step-electric-bike/

A quick glance doesn't seem to show anything that's any more impressive than the cozybikes. (czbikes didn't seem bad, by any means. They just didn't really seem to be giants in the field.) This bike does seem to be notably more expensive, though. Though if their pitch is to be believed, it can be had with a first outlay of around $700. That's worth something. But then there's more payments in store. And that should be considered with care.

I suppose we ought to digress for a moment. You said that you were 290 lbs or thereabouts? Plus your commute will include at least one significant incline? That might be asking a lot of any cheap electric bike. In fact, it might be asking a lot of any motorized bicycle. The addition of a motor means that the bike itself is stressed beyond what it was meant to endure.

This does not mean that it can't be done. It does mean that it needs to be done with some care.

It could be that you should consider an internal combustion engine.

Here's something interesting;
http://www.bikemania.biz/electric-bicycles/honda-electric-city-bike-scooter/

I couldn't afford the time to take a closer look. But if that's a genuine Honda, then it's worth considering. And the price is not bad. When you take into account the name, you can be pretty sure that it won't be garbage. Though it still might not be super strong. It looks like it has rear suspension. A big plus. You should have a look at it.

If that doesn't look like it can do the trick, then let's talk gasoline engine.

We might want to do that in a new thread. That'll get others involved in the discussion.
There're a lot of knowledgeable folks here, eager to help.

Sallyshouse

Mar 26, 2014
Wisconsin
Thank you again for replying. I looked at the Honda but the weight limit is 250lbs. I don't have a significant incline, maybe 15 degrees. I operate a drawbridge. The place where we parked our cars has been removed and the new parking lot is considerably farther away. I do not live far from the bridge but with my current health issues I am unable to walk to work. I need the electric bike so I am able to ride it on the sidewalk up to the bridge house without being stopped for operating a motorized unit on the sidewalk. This seemed like the perfect solution. The incline would be about 80 yards before I would be at the bridge house. The rest of the trip is on a flat sidewalk. Total distance is appx 1/2 mile. Distance would never be an issue; sadly, it is mostly about weight and that is not going to change for a while. I need to keep working which is not an issue once I arrive at the bridge.

I am a bit confused about the Hybike. The website stated Made In The USA. In reading, it sounds more like it is a China import. It did have a 390lb weight limit.

So....I am more confused than ever. Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it so much.

Sally