My Frankenstein Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Animatronicus

Dec 13, 2014
Fresno

Here is my machine. People are calling it a frankenstein for some reason...

The frame is an SE Draft Track Frame (steel) with a Manitou Dual Clamp Mountain Bike fork with a disc brake. Origin 8 cranks, and Merritt BMX pedals. The back wheel is a coaster brake wheel. Bmx handlebars and stem. www.bekits.com chinese kit. Its a blast. It stops great with the downhillfork and the disc brake. Its got excellent tires pumped up to 100psi. Its fast enough.

I plan on adding a larger back sprocket to make it a little quicker, and perhaps some other engine mods. Right now I need to modify a seatpost to be laid back.

brnot

max350

Apr 10, 2010
Sweden, Örnsköldsvik

Here is my machine. People are calling it a frankenstein for some reason...

The frame is an SE Draft Track Frame (steel) with a Manitou Dual Clamp Mountain Bike fork with a disc brake. Origin 8 cranks, and Merritt BMX pedals. The back wheel is a coaster brake wheel. Bmx handlebars and stem. www.bekits.com chinese kit. Its a blast. It stops great with the downhillfork and the disc brake. Its got excellent tires pumped up to 100psi. Its fast enough.

I plan on adding a larger back sprocket to make it a little quicker, and perhaps some other engine mods. Right now I need to modify a seatpost to be laid back.

brnot
Nice bike even though it is upside down :), larger rear sprocket becomes slower (unless the motor is too weak for the current gearing), but stronger

Animatronicus

Dec 13, 2014
Fresno
Thanks! I am enjoying riding it! It screams!

To be honest, I think it may be a little too fast. I would prefer quicker. I have to go through a lot of stop and go on my commute so if I could take off a little faster the bike would be perfect.

Animatronicus

Dec 13, 2014
Fresno

Hopefully that link works. Burrito run! xct2

Thanks for pointing out that my fuel filter is upside down. I wouldn't have known!

This thing is so much fun. It flies. It loves to go fast. Its doing this strange thing where when I let off the throttle it still stays revving kinda high. Once the carb got loose and was doing that, but I cranked it down and its not loose at all, but it still kinda doesn't want to rev back down.

I got an exhaust with an expansion chamber but haven't had a chance to get it fitted right. Ill have to cut and weld it to get it to clear. I am wanting to find a steel full suspension frame that will fit the motor and not require a jackshaft or derailer. Wishful thinking I guess.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Hopefully that link works. Burrito run! xct2

Thanks for pointing out that my fuel filter is upside down. I wouldn't have known!

This thing is so much fun. It flies. It loves to go fast. Its doing this strange thing where when I let off the throttle it still stays revving kinda high. Once the carb got loose and was doing that, but I cranked it down and its not loose at all, but it still kinda doesn't want to rev back down.

I got an exhaust with an expansion chamber but haven't had a chance to get it fitted right. Ill have to cut and weld it to get it to clear. I am wanting to find a steel full suspension frame that will fit the motor and not require a jackshaft or derailer. Wishful thinking I guess.

Did you get the high idle issue resolved?

I does sound like an air leak.

Animatronicus

Dec 13, 2014
Fresno
I got the idle issue resolved, but now I think I have an exhaust leak, and its not reaching top speed anymore. I'm going to try changing the exhaust gasket. I would like to add my expansion chamber now too.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Cool bike! I always liked the S.E. frames, it's good to see someone build one up. One little tip. I worked for 4 years at a very high tech bike shop and we tested a lot of technologies and products. One of the really interesting things we tested was rolling resistance at different PSI on different tires and widths. The findings are different than how the bike feels. The road bike sizes: 700c of different construction and widths all had a sweet spot around 90PSI and rolled measurably faster and farther there.

Animatronicus

Dec 13, 2014
Fresno
I have been stopped once, and we ended up nerding out on bikes. I told the officer its a great way to get around town, and he's like "really?" And I said yes, but the maintenance is a pain in the ass. I usually have to work on it every month or so. It goes through brake pads a lot and tires, but it gets great gas mileage. Then he just drove off. Haha.